My Paphs are growing tall and leggy!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you use full strength as directed on the package? The old adage of fertilizing orchids that I go by is weakly weekly, or at least half strength when I fertilize.

I see this thing occur but it is with window sill growers almost every time. I can not give you the reason. My non professional opinion is that the plants are getting inadequate light most of the day from the lights for some reason. That is followed by a burst of light at the same time each day for a short period. Therefore changing the growth habit in a consistent way. Fertilizers may also play a part because those growers often used something similar and equally balanced.

IMO both have to occur to get the plant to do that. I have done both with paphs before but never at the same time. I have also never had this happen.

Your case is extreme and consistent with each plant so I would change things around with new ones.

New bulbs. Closer bulbs. East window. Different filter, if any for the east window. Different potting media for sure IMO, different fertilizer. Sounds like a lot but all relatively cheap and easy.

Your plants have a secret drug problem.
Heavy use of 20-20-20 fertilizer would not cause small leaves with elongated stems.
Low light should cause bigger floppy leaves, not short stiff leaves on a strong elongated stem.
You have the same exact strange growth occurring with different genetic hybrids, too nu-natural.
You will often see this type of stem elongation in flasks and that is likely from excessive hormones
Your neighbors must have strange chemicals floating around. Maybe venting a growroom nearby?

Never seen anything like it. Are you sure those are the same orchids you bought?
I think Lance is closest to the reason for why your orchids look like that. I don't think lack of light or anything you do could cause that.
It must be hormonal or genetic.

I believe that known gaseous plant hormones are ethylene and NO (relatively recent addition), so leak from neighbor is unlikely to cause it, though.

I think the light level is at the low end, but it is not extremely low. I haven't measured T12 40W, but it is similar total output to T8 32W. I don't have the number now, but I vaguely remember that 2x T8 (which I measured before) was similar to 1x T5HO 54W. With T5HO x 1 bulb, you get about 287fc (33 micromol/m^2/s, old bulb) to 472fc (58 mircomol/m^2/s, brand new bulb) at 12". So if you have old bulbs, it is fairly low.

Etiolation does happen in some plants if only red light is used, but it is unlikely to be the cause in this case.

I'm not sure why you couldn't add the link. I just copy-and-pasted the link to orchidsForum.

I believe that known gaseous plant hormones are ethylene and NO (relatively recent addition), so leak from neighbor is unlikely to cause it, though.

May as well play Dr House...

Cladosporium sphaerospermum. an airborne fungi. Colonizes on plants.

"C. sphaerospermum can possibly become a substitute for chemical fertilizers due to its ability to produce gibberellins, plant growth hormones that are essential for plant growth and development"

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Cladosporium_sphaerospermum

I guess some unlikely things that are possible things.... ;)

"Gibberella
Fungus
Gibberella is a genus of fungus in the Nectriaceae family. In 1926, Japanese scientists observed that rice plants infected with Gibberella had abnormally long stems. A substance, gibberellin, was derived from this fungus."

Well that's a new one! Forget the fertilizer. Nothing to do with that. Low light should not cause this type of growth either. Is it maybe the spectrum of light is wrong? It is almost like only part of the metabolism is working. :confused:
Hormones (or lack of the right ones) are definitly playing a role somehow.

I just added another 4 foot shop light and replaced all 4 bulbs with new 40 watt bulbs, light are 12 inches above the plants. Also I moved the growing rack right in front of the west window where they will get 2 to 4 hours indirect sunlight in the afternoon during the summer season and see what happens. I never had any problems with orchid fertilizer in 15 years with any of my other orchids, so I don't think that is the problem. Thank for your reply and concern.

If I grew my paphs in a west window they would be dead within three days, where do you live?

I live in Phoenix, AZ, it's like living in the desert, today it was 109 degrees. I grow all my orchids (40 in total) by the west window under light and they love it. The window is covered with 1" thick bubble wrap to diffuse the direct sunlight. No problem with them except with my 4 Paphs.

Mmm...makes me think, what is in the plants' heritage? Alot of paphs are known for also being stoloniferous. So it could be the result of the new growth wanting to become stoloniferous

Latest posts

Back