My Paphs are growing tall and leggy!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JoeJo

Hello, I have a question or two. Last year in June I purchased 4 Paphs because they where on sale at a great price, 5 for $49 and was told that they would bloom within 12-18 months. I have never attempted to grow Paphs before, my first question is, why are they growing so tall and leggy because 2 of them have grown 15 small skinny leafs with a 16th on the way and the other 2 have 9 leafs with a 10th on the way. My second question is, what are the brown tiny knobs in the crown of each leaf. I always thought that Paphs grow low in the pot with only 4 to 6 fairly large leafs. Final question, what is wrong with my Paphs, if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply about pictures!

I have not figured out how to post photos yet but I assure you they are Paphs. I got them from Carter & Holmes Orchids online from South Carolina last year with labels of what they are. Also, how do I post photos? Thanks

the brown knobs are probably root starts, you probably got a bunch of Maudiae types and they are getting leggy. Some people would say to try to get some media around the starts, that's what I do. :(

The best way to post photos here is to use a photo storage internet site, like Photobucket or flickr, and copy/paste the appropriate "img" link to your photo.

I grow the Paphs by a west window under a 4 foot shop light with 2- 40 watt bulbs.

I highly doubt they are not getting enough light, unless it rains every day or you live in alaska

Wow. I've seen some leggy Paphs before, my own and plenty of pictures/questions on forums, but those are unique in my experience. The response is extreme but uniform, conspicuously short leaves on a couple of them, more leaves per fan than in a normal growth pattern.

The usual suspects for cause include low light, high humidity, bad media and crowding, and sometimes a genetic tendency, but with these I really suspect something hormonal going on.

Are you giving your plants anything besides water and fertilizer? What fertilizer and rate? Have you repotted and what is the media? Insect pests or pesticide use? Anything unusual about the location or activities in the room? Wine or beer making? Any open flame regularly nearby (pilot light, gas water heater)? Compost bin? Unusual use of solvents for a hobby?

My Paphs are growing tall and leggy

Thanks for the link naoki, how did you do that? I tried to enter the same link in my original post but it didn't work. I keep the 4 foot light about 12 inches above the plants by a west window wrapped with bubble wrap to diffuse direct sunlight, they get about 2-3 hours sun and altogether they get about 15 hours of light. I don't use any growth hormones, just 20-20-20 orchid food twice a month. Thanks again and please let me know how you got that link and how it works.

I only use 20-20-20 orchid food twice a month and that is all. Nothing unusual going on in the room, just humidity, light and fan. I repotted the plants from a 2.5" pots to 4" pots in fresh fern medium as suggested by the grower when I got them a year ago.

Yikes. Triple 20 is a lot of growth stuff even when used at a low rate. From the other forum the bulb seems too far away. You could try moving the plants to within 5" of the center of the bulb, and maybe use something with less p and k maybe like 20 10 10 or like that ratio just for a start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back