My favourite dendrobium species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Dendrobium anosmum. Best blooming since recovery after a massive blooming in 2006... I nearly lost the plant from rhizome dieback, but ended with a lot of keikis. Here it is with 16 flowers on 3 canes (13 on one, 2 and 1 on the other 2 canes)... :) And it smells delicious.. :D
Anosmum1-1.jpg

Anosmum2-1.jpg

Anosmum3-1.jpg

Anosmum4-1.jpg

A lovely dendro :clap: !!! And you got me :) ! When first scrolling down I had the impression that the length of the growths went over the 3 first pics :drool:!!! Jean

is it deciduous?
I am finally having some success with dends, yay

Yay for you too, Fren.. :) Yes, anosmum is supposed to be deciduous, but it is a very variable species. I actually have several pieces of this particular variety, but this is the only plant which flowers with most of the leaves still on the cane.

I can't get mine to flower. How do you grow yours to flower so well?

Shiva, I think the secret is high light and slightly drier (not totally dry) during the rest period. High phosphorus/potash feed helps too. Honestly, I've been neglecting it through most of the year as I'm not around, so daily watering is all it has been getting. I do apply copious amounts of organic feed before I leave, when the new growths start...

Very beautiful flowers. Since I am living in north Thailand I enjoy Dendrobiums much more.
But even here are some species very delicate in cultivation. Much to be learned.

Lucky you, werner.freitag.. :) I so love the Thai soft cane dendrobiums (pierardii, crepidatum, primulinum, cretaceum/polyanthum, fredericksianum etc) and section callista species (thyrsiflorum, griffithianum, lindleyi etc), but am unable to bloom them here..

Latest posts

Back