My best Paph. delenatii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think they need to join any society to display their plant. Dot, you could just enter it in the show for them. If it gets a culture award they name it and pay the bill!
At our shows we always have an open table for non-members to enter plants for AOS judging, not ribbon judging. Although people that take advantage of the open table are traveling judges coming in for the Friday nite judging but anyone can. I could do the same thing. If I had a plant that I wanted a closer look at rather then sticking it into a display with all the other masses to get passed over, I would use the table.

Fantastic culture going on here!

Can you briefly run how you care this plant?
Light level, potting mix, winter care, water & fertilizing among anything. :)
Have you changed anything over the years??
Has this clone always been vigorous??

According to some accounts, the original clone from the French collection was not a easy one to grow, but then I always hate to read hard or difficult without giving reasons why or what makes it difficult.

Original account is obviously way off, or they didn't know what they were doing, or you just have great conditions for this particular plant.

Sign me up for next division, please!!!

I would love to have a fragrant delenatii.

Can you briefly run how you care this plant?
Light level, potting mix, winter care, water & fertilizing among anything. :)
Have you changed anything over the years??
Has this clone always been vigorous??

According to some accounts, the original clone from the French collection was not a easy one to grow, but then I always hate to read hard or difficult without giving reasons why or what makes it difficult.

Original account is obviously way off, or they didn't know what they were doing, or you just have great conditions for this particular plant.

Sign me up for next division, please!!!

I would love to have a fragrant delenatii.

I knew someone would ask me about culture and I could be a wise-a** and tell you that I grow it on a bakers rack which is located directly over one of my floor heat vents, that the exposure of the door wall that it's at is southwest which is way to bright, that I struggle to maintain 40-45% RH in the winter, that there's no air circulation other than the furnace fan in the winter and the lights are sometimes on at night since it's located in my dining room. We all know you can't grow Paphs under those conditions, right?

Light level is obviously high. I have a sheer that I draw in front of the plants on sunny days or slid the screen to the other side of the door wall if it's really bright. Potting mix is medium CHC, coarse perlite, Hydroton, silica sand and charcoal with some amendments of greensand, oyster shell, bonemeal and blood meal. I originally started out growing all my plants under lights but that was many years and many houses ago. I do set my thermostat to 58deg winter nights and I think it may get there occasionally. Like I said above, winter humidity is low but I do the best I can. Watering is maybe 2/week summer, every 5-7days winter. I fertilize 2/mo summer with 1/2 strength of several fertilizers, primarily MSU for RO, 1/mo winter (no rest). As best I can recall I've never had an issue with this plant. PM me with any other questions and so I can file your request for a division.

Hope this helps.

I know he doesn't have to be a member to enter a plant in a show. It was my subtle way of inviting him to join our society. I wish he would.

I based my statement on the fact that I purchased the original piece of this plant in the late 1970's or early 80's. From my understanding, all delenatii's that were available at that time came from the original plants (or plant) from
Vacherot & Lecoufle. Since it wasn't collected again until the mid 90's I believe this statement to be true. I know that at the time I purchased it it was rather hard to find, unlike today.

Yes, at that time all plants in cultivation were derived front the original collection, though usually resulting from several generations of x self and x sibs crosses derived from the original at V&L. There was concern about the inbreeding. It looks like you got one of the best in terms of form and vigor, and scent.

Latest posts

Back