Moving paphs outside in summer?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesChatsJardin

Reaction score
I am moving some of my orchids outside for the summer- phals, catts, dendrobiums and wondering about the paphs. I live in Massachusetts and the nights are definitely warm enough to move the others out. Will the slippers benefit as well from better air movement, light, etc? Is there anything in particular to watch for with the slippers? I tend to think of them as being fragile, for some reason and I am nervous about putting them out. Thanks

Depends on the plants. Some species like warm conditions, and definitely enjoy the great out-of-doors. I move mine out. Others like cool conditions, and don't really do well with warm nights. They stay in the basement, under lights (and an air conditioner).

You just got to know your plants. If you have multiple divisions of some try one each way, see what happens. Keep records.

Your Paph's will do great outdoors in the summer. Keep them out of the sun. Find a shady place, no sun what so ever, no matter the time of day. Try not to put your pots directly on the ground. Your pots will become home to numerous insects if you do. If you can, put your Paph's under something to block the rain and water them yourself. This time of year the quick moving thunderstorms and stagnant humidity that precedes or follows those storms is not good for Paph's. Dendrobium and other genera are not a problem outside in the sun getting rained on but Paph's are problematic. Collect a bucket of rain water and dip your Paph's a few times a week to keep the mix moist especially on the hottest days. They will reward you for the rain water!

When it is time to put your Paph's back inside spray them with Phyton 27 or another broad based solution as a preventative and you are all set.

I find this is a good way to get some of my stubborn bloomers to put up a spike as well. Glass, be it your windows, florescent tubes, or your greenhouse, blocks some of the natural spectrum from reaching your plants and the full spectrum, even if it is in the shade, is beneficial!

I live in upstate NY not all that far from you and this methodology has worked very well for me for over 20 years. In fact, it is the only way I can bloom some of my dendrobium and my roth's.

Best,

Back