SLUGS!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a big fan of summering my plants outside when it is warm. The time outside seems to give them a big boost. However it does come with a few drawbacks. For example, after a few days of rain, slugs can be a problem. This year was no exception. My lovely purpurata was attacked but this time it was after multiple dry days. The slug must have been hiding out in the pot. I dispatched it when it came out after dark. Unfortunately it did plenty of damage while it was living.

For those fortunate enough to not know what slug and snail damage looks like here are some pictures.
20230710_164023.jpg
20230710_164037.jpg

What about hanging these plants when outside?

(I was watching a BBC gardening show, and they were complaining about slugs destroying lily-of-the-valley, which is fairly invasive here in US)

It can be fairly invasive over here too but they can still be damaged, especially as the stems are poking through in spring.

The ones in my garden always seem to go for the unusual pink flowered or variegated ones too!

What about hanging these plants when outside?

(I was watching a BBC gardening show, and they were complaining about slugs destroying lily-of-the-valley, which is fairly invasive here in US)
I have too many plants to hang all of them. I have to use benches. There are quiet a few hanging that are mounted. However I have found an occasional slug on them when the rains are really frequent. But hanging does help.

I use slug baits which keeps the population down. What I have not kept up on as well recently is managing the fallen leaves and what not outside of the growing area. I am planning some updates to my outdoor space, whenever I get the time. 😉

I have used the dry, slug bait pellets on numerous occasions. Both in NY for 38 years and 9 in Florida.
I place them in the top of each pot dry and then moisten them with a mist bottle. Use gloves. The slugs and snails go back into the pot or media when the sun comes up. When moistened, the pellets
killed both slugs and snails.
The most common snails I dealt with were either bush snails or English Garden Snails.

I found the bait to be so effective, I would get both pests under control for several months.
Slugs tend to do a lot more damage then what I am seeing. Perhaps you have little snails and not slugs? Do you see the tell tale iridescent slug trail that they leave behind?
One trade name was Slug-getta!

Romaine lettuce leaves. They are irresistible to slugs and snails. Problem is a) lettuce like everything else has gotten expensive, b) if you have a lot of plants, you need a lot of lettuce. It works exceptionally well in terrariums.

Should you wish to experiment, simply place a lettuce leaf (or several dozen) strategically around your collection. Right on top of the plants is fine. Check your leaves as early as you can in the day, pick and squish gastropods. You can put the lettuce leaves right back on the plants, they last for quite a while. This is a reason to use romaine lettuce, it lasts longer. But you have to squish frequently, otherwise you are just feeding the little SOBs.

For what it is worth, I have had slugs in hanging pots outside. I know they climbed all the way up. They are persistent. My best method for slug control was ducks. I don't have ducks anymore, but they loved slugs and snails more than anything. Drawback is that if you have plants within reach of duck beaks (surprisingly long reach), they will 'explore' your plants to death. Need tall benches and short ducks. And raccoon traps.

Slugs tend to do a lot more damage then what I am seeing. Perhaps you have little snails and not slugs? Do you see the tell tale iridescent slug trail that they leave behind?
It was definitely a slug. I waiting until the evening to look for it. The little monster was happily snacking on the second flower. I hope it was a delicious😈 last meal...

Thanks for the tips. I use slugs baits that are supposed to be more water resistant. I cannot remember the name, but it works well enough. Still the slugs do some damage when the rains show up before I get the baits out. it is hard to get ahead of them too much. Although I have not tried it, I have heard about the beer traps. since the baits work pretty well, I have not felt the need to experiment with beer for the slugs. However, I am very familiar with the positive effects of drinking beer in the garden.

I am curious about the romaine and will try that to see if anything is hiding in the pots that I am unaware of.

I just hate those slimy little beasts!
I HATE them too! Argh!!! We have those giant brown African snails in my neighborhood. Sometimes I will get up in the middle of the night, with a flashlight, latex gloves, and a ziplock bag. They hiss at me when I pick them up. At least they are big enough to see. Argh!!!

Latest posts

Back