Moving into an old greenhouse!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, yesterday I hauled an entire collection of plants with their wonderful donor from his Oakland small greenhouse to mine in Daly City. Two trips in my Honda hatchback. I do need a van! We managed to bring over around a hundred varied plants, about half of which are mounted, so I now need to rig mounting structures in
several areas of my greenhouse. How worried to I need to be about viral contamination? I never have had a large number of mounts like this, so I've always been able to keep the mounted plants from dripping on any other plants. Help!

:eek: Where's the jealousy smiley!? We cant wait to see the photos! :poke:
A common way I've seen for multple mounts is to use a wire mesh. just align the plants so that they're not directly over on another if that realistically a concern.

would having the wire mesh lean towards the back a little help things run off the back instead of dripping down onto the plants below or is it a real p.i.t.a. to do?

Wow I haven't checked out this thread for a while, sounds like things are really moving along! Glad that your fall wasn't too bad. Looking forward to the photos :D

maybe just upload to photobucket.
i think it automatically resizes them then you just have to paste the image code

would having the wire mesh lean towards the back a little help things run off the back instead of dripping down onto the plants below or is it a real p.i.t.a. to do?
... or is there a way the unit can hang & slide into the aisle, water, drip-drip, then slide it back?

Chris,

Why don't you ask Marni Turkel about mounted orchids? She grows quite a few of them as I understand it. She's up in Santa Rosa.

Best Regards,
Nik

Ditto. That's what I'd do. Also White Oak has some interesting methods for watering mounts.

Misting could be a good way to water mounts, using an automated misting system or the handheld containers. Considering the dripping, putting them in rows per same size could anable to put drip collectors under each row at a small inclination, so that the water dripping collects in a container... Could be troubling in creating though, but could be a good solution too!!;) Good luck :D

Dripping water on another plant shouldn't be a big worry if you just pay attention to where the drips are.

Don't hang the mounted plants over plants like Phals or Paphs that have crowns that catch water. Put them over things like Catts or Epis.
If you are using good growing practices then the plants are dried off before nightfall or in cooler than normal temperatures

Water dripping from one plant to another is not going to be a problem with spreading disease any more than water splashing from the side or insects hoping from plant to plant.

I think about rain in nature. Water drips everywhere, from treetops down to the ground and over any and all plants in between.

Pictures at last! http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m541/cmende/ It's a mix of views from front and back, a few flower images, and hopefully will give you a fairly good idea of my progress to date. Many of the plants (non-Paph) suffered a lot during last year when I boarded them elsewhere before the greenhouse became available. Those are just now finally mostly repotted and will look much better next year! Not too many Paphs are blooming right now, partly because I had shadecloth up until I finally whitewashed the roof. Now they are getting more light.
The little group of Wossner Zwerg plants will get photographed again when they are all completely open. This is when they were mostly open, but the colors hadn't yet stabilized, and the reflexing hadn't completed doing it's thing. They are such little charmers, though! Thanks, Ross!

I just reviewed the link myself and notice that I included all the old images - in reverse order in time. So: the first group is now and the others obviously are at previous times. My home electricity bill is so nice and normal these days! All those fancy light setups are no longer in use. I haven't decided what to do with them at this point. I know I'll run one for prevention of winter-blues and try to figure out how to occupy myself while I let it "enlighten" me.

Latest posts

Back