mounting paphs?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popow has a bunch of helenaes sitting on a piece of Travertin rock. He's stolen the idea from another grower, as he told me. The plants do o.k. but that particular type of helenaes is not exactly a weed. Mine grows as slow in its pot than his on the rock.
That kind of rock holds moisture quite well, but as others stated, this way of culturing requires lots of attention and is not really space saving. Well, helenae is, the rock isn't.

Best wishes, Carsten

I have seen the same thing in a french prod's greenhouse: Paphiopedilum lowiis on rocks.
The prod is Nicolas, from "La Cour des Orchidees" and from his own words, result was far from concluant. The plants were growing twice slower than the very same seedlings, growing in bark. He told me he did that as an experiment, but won't lose his time again on it, useless he said.
I will go back there before the end of this month, and see if I can take some pictures of these lowiis if he still got them.
I have to say that it looked beautifull, even if not concluant from a prod's point of view (fast growing, fast flowering).

I went to this prod greenhouse this afternoon and took a few pictures of his paphs mounted on rocks. I could identify henryanum, helenae and probably micranthum and coccineum (according to foliage) but could not take pictures of all of them. By the way I came back with a sangii and a bullenianum (potted, not on ze rocks, these were not for sell).

2881930195_40207f8f55_o.jpg

2882765152_cf79f9c2af_o.jpg

Very cool! That's what I'm talking about! That's about as natural a way to grow them as there is. I can't see from the picture, but are the rocks sitting in water? It would be nice to get some where you can actually see the roots, but that probably won't be possible - they need the moss or they'll dry out too fast.

No, rocks were not sitting in the water. I could not see any roots from where I was looking (no possibility to turn around, sorry) and I think yes, moss is here to keep moisture.

Back