Anyone with experience of SMC (spider mite control)?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie

Reaction score
Hi,
I´ve been battling false spider mites for sometime, a pest which I think I got from growing Hoya alongside my orchids. I have been looking for a remedy, but in Sweden you can´t really buy anything that contains pyrethrins anymore (since 2020, I think, it´s illegal to use). I have read that many people have seen good results using horticultural oils and such. Has anyone tried SMC (spider mite control) on Phrags and Paphs with good results? I´m inclined to try it, but some people - if reviews on amazon is to be trusted - have reported leaf loss when using the product. SMC contains mostly canola oil (94%). Sucrashield is not really available in Europe, as far as I know.

Otherwise I´m thinking that I may be able to formulate a DIY horticultural oil by using mineral oil and some surfactant/emulsifier.

all the best,
Georg

Hi, Georg.

SucraShield isn't available at all, as the gentleman running the small company passed away a few years ago. About a year ago or so, the technology license was purchased and the product reintroduced as OrganiShield, but I have no idea if it's available over there.

I use SB invigorator (https://sbproducts.co.uk/) to control spider mite on my cacti and succulents (and orchids in summer) due to the lack of other options over here. It works physically so supposedly pests cannot build immunity but because if this it needs to be applied regularly. I try and do it fortnightly on my plants during the warm months.

Thanks Ray. Yeah, I looked around for that product as well. It does seem that it's only available across the pond unfortunately. Seems like a solid product.

Hi Ed. I have found one vendor in Sweden that carries that product! Another vendor that used to have SB Invigorator in their inventory has since discontinued the product citing regulations from the chemicals agency.

are there any predatory mite providers in europe? Neoseiulus californicus will decimate any spider mite population. I release them in my grow tent and within days the spider mites are gone.
Yes there are! Altough I don´t know how well they would fare indoors, I´ve read that they really would like higher humidity than I have in my growing space, and for the time being the problem isn´t that big; it´s not an infestation of false spider mites, but more of a nuisance where I occasionally find mites on leaves. I´m afraid I would starve the poor predatory mites. Would be nice though to keep the population of false spider mites under control/eradicate them, wishful thinking the latter I suppose!

Yes there are! Altough I don´t know how well they would fare indoors, I´ve read that they really would like higher humidity than I have in my growing space, and for the time being the problem isn´t that big; it´s not an infestation of false spider mites, but more of a nuisance where I occasionally find mites on leaves. I´m afraid I would starve the poor predatory mites. Would be nice though to keep the population of false spider mites under control/eradicate them, wishful thinking the latter I suppose!
I've used more predators before. Works pretty well. The secret is to make sure you know what you are trying to kill (either key it out yourself or find an entomologist...) and pick something that eats it. Actually the real secret is to overload the predators and not try to establish a resident population. Treat them like a pesticide and apply more a few weeks later.

I've used more predators before. Works pretty well. The secret is to make sure you know what you are trying to kill (either key it out yourself or find an entomologist...) and pick something that eats it. Actually the real secret is to overload the predators and not try to establish a resident population. Treat them like a pesticide and apply more a few weeks later.
Have you used them inside with good results? I'm worried they won't be able to establish themselves, and I don't think they will find much to eat. I don't think I could key them out myself, but in a couple of weeks there will be a gardening exhibition/fair, where I think the Swedish entomological society will attend that event. Might bring a leaf snip with small buggers on it so they hopefully can key them out for me.

Have you used them inside with good results? I'm worried they won't be able to establish themselves, and I don't think they will find much to eat. I don't think I could key them out myself, but in a couple of weeks there will be a gardening exhibition/fair, where I think the Swedish entomological society will attend that event. Might bring a leaf snip with small buggers on it so they hopefully can key them out for me.
I only grow inside. Point is to starve them. Every predator doesn't eat all its prey, that would be silly. Evolution would have selected them right out..But if you have a lot of predators they will take what they can before they starve.

I only grow inside. Point is to starve them. Every predator doesn't eat all its prey, that would be silly. Evolution would have selected them right out..But if you have a lot of predators they will take what they can before they starve.
Might go doen that road! Although the price per treatment will be quite substantial.

I use SB invigorator (https://sbproducts.co.uk/) to control spider mite on my cacti and succulents (and orchids in summer) due to the lack of other options over here. It works physically so supposedly pests cannot build immunity but because if this it needs to be applied regularly. I try and do it fortnightly on my plants during the warm months.
Do you use it full strength or do you apply it more dilute than the packaging recommends?

I buy the concentrate and dilute as instructed. When I next buy some I will be buying the commercial strength as I get through quite a bit in the warmer months! Spraying underneath leaves is the most difficult bit for leafy plants, a bit easier with my cacti!

I mainly rely on oil and soap sprays I purchase (not homemade), and my method is just to spray the plant thoroughly, spray directly in the crown and other crannies, let sit for 10 minutes, and then thoroughly rinse off with water before putting the plant(s) back on the shelf. Doing this seems to fully prevent bad side effects like burning or a plant reacting badly to some ingredient in the spray. I burned a couple of ferns with a store-bought spray once, and ever since I have always taken the precaution of rinsing, and I've never damaged a plant like that since. The one thing I've never bothered to learn is how many minutes it actually takes to suffocate a bug, but about 10 mintues of letting the spray sit seems to work fine.

Latest posts

Back