Spider mites! Please help!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Safer's Endall which is marked as miticide. I didn't find the list of ingredients on the bottle though.
The plants look fine now, almost 4 days after treatment. Three paphs with buds didn't drop them yet, I keep my fingers crossed, because I brutally sprayed the buds too.
The label said to repeat after 10 days if needed. How do I know if it is indeed needed?
Thanks again.

um, I may be too late, but don't use bayer rose and flower to treat mites. if it is their imidacloprid product, the systemic chemical imidacloprid doesn't kill mites and has the unfortunate side-effect of causing the mites to have a population explosion! definitely an odd result of using a pesticide....

It is not bayer's brand of Rose and Flower and it doesn't have imidacloprid in it!

Paphman910

I used Safer's Endall which is marked as miticide. I didn't find the list of ingredients on the bottle though.
The plants look fine now, almost 4 days after treatment. Three paphs with buds didn't drop them yet, I keep my fingers crossed, because I brutally sprayed the buds too.
The label said to repeat after 10 days if needed. How do I know if it is indeed needed?
Thanks again.

Even if you don't see the mites do repeat it again to kill the youngster that hatched from eggs.

Paphman910

As far as I know, we can't buy Bayers products here in Canada anyway. I emailed them in 2007 looking for Bayer Advanced All-in-One Rose & Flower Care and that's what they indicated back then...

Unless you have a widespread infestation, I have never found chemicals to be useful for spider mites. They reproduce so fast that they can become tolerant of repetitive ttreatments. Take the plant to the sink and spray the unerside of the leaves with water. Repeat every 2-3 days for a week or two.

I would make sure they are mites - mites usually pick thin leaved plants. Paphs don't fit that profile.

It is not bayer's brand of Rose and Flower and it doesn't have imidacloprid in it!

Paphman910

Yes Bayer Rose and Flower has imidacloprid (Merrit) in it. Actually a couple of other Bayer products have Merrit in higher % than in "Rose and Flower".

Rose and Flower is already diluted down to recommended use rate. There must be a licensing issue why they can call it Merrit in some of their products, but call it by the generic name in Rose and Flower.

Merit is the 'nursery' licensed product; can't be used in greenhouses or interiorscapes (legally). it is much cheaper than the sprayed and other ones labeled for greenhouses (marathon). I wonder what they have against greenhouse growers why they overcharge them so much?

Unless you have a widespread infestation, I have never found chemicals to be useful for spider mites. They reproduce so fast that they can become tolerant of repetitive ttreatments. Take the plant to the sink and spray the unerside of the leaves with water. Repeat every 2-3 days for a week or two.

I would make sure they are mites - mites usually pick thin leaved plants. Paphs don't fit that profile.

All I can tell you is that red spider mites attacked my Phals and my Paphs one year.

Last edited:
I didn't use Bayer, it was Safer's.

Well, I didn't actually see any bugs, but I found some sticky substance on the purpuratum leaves, some silvery streaks on the bellatulum and malipoense and some little pricks (sunken spots) on couple others. And I know it wasn't there before. Since all my paphs are sort of crowded together plus masdies - I sprayed everything and last weekend repeated the treatment.
I have several paphs with buds and was afraid they will blast after two sprayings, but (knock on the wood) they are still plump. Here is bellatulum for example:

paph_bellatulum_bud.jpg

Maybe they will bloom after all.

Do you think I should repeat one more time?

in my country,Thailand.
I made a recommended follow IRAC mode of action (MoA) recommendation (www.irac-online.com>>>resources>>>moa_mite poster)

Group 12 Inhibitors of mitochondrial ATP synthase (growth regulator)
12B Fenbutatine oxide..........Torque
12C Propargite....................Omite
12D Tetradifon....................Tedion V18

Group 19 Octopamine receptor agonists (nerve action)
......Amitraz........................Mitac

Group 21 Mitocondrial complex I electron transport inhibitors (energy metabolism)
21A Fenazaquin...................Totem
......Fenpyroximate...............Ortus
......Pyridaben.....................Sanmite
......Tebufenpyrad................Pyranica

Group 23 Inhibitors of Acetyl CoA carboxylase (growth regulator lipid synthase)
......Spirodiclofen.................Oberon

choose one chemical in each group,alternate MoA in each spray, spraying cover underside of the leaves where mite occur,repeat 2 - 3 times for good control.

LOL! I don't know what all those chemicals are, but I'm thinking there's not a chance in hell they're available legally to the average orchid grower here in Canada!

Back