mounting paphs?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

andalusianluv

hello all,
this is my first thread so here it goes.
has anyone tried to grow paphs mounted on cork, or bark as you would phals?
i was surfing through the gore orchid conservatory site and read the bio's on a few paph species and it said that some were found in/on trees! so....i thought why not grow them like is in captivity? they are epiphytic after all?

i'm just trying to conserve space/ make a nice decoration since my orchids live in kitchen window. if i can grow some like this then i can expand this idea and put them throughout my house and not have my sigificant other kill me when i try to put tables infront of every available window.

thanks!
-b

ROFL now whats wrong with having your living room look warehouse like with racks and tables in front of every window......my significant other does not understand it either LOL

Todd

Yes many species like lowii do grow in trees, but most grow in pockets of moss and debris that collect in the crotches of limbs. I'd say the closest to replicating that would be growing them in a slated wood basket of moss.

I have seen them mounted before with a TON of moss, but you would still have to water quite a bit to keep them from drying out.

lowii and villosum are two off hand that are known to grow on trees. Both do so darn well in pots though. I'd start with lowii if I was going to try. Don't dianthum and parishii act as monkeys sometimes too? There are probably others. Shoot, I think you could mount any Paph on anything and it would work if you TRIED hard enough ***to keep all its needs met***. But, is it worth the effort?

-Ernie

hmmm.......maybe i'll give it a whorl, just for fun, start with a lowii and see if it works. i'd have to modify it a bit and put in some other media. i'll see what i can come up with. does anyone know of a vendor who has a lowii variety for sale that has flat petals that face foreward? much like the 2nd picture of the lowii thread in the paph section.

don't get me wrong....if the plant looks bad i'll just do something else with it. i was also thinking about building a box of sorts that i could hang on my wall and put pots in, i've seen those in some cataloges. maybe that's a better option and i can just mount my phals.

I'd talk to Frank Smith (Orchidfrank here) from Krull-Smith. They have the best lowiis I've seen as of late.
They aren't listed in his current catalog but somewhere around here there's a photo of hundreds of them in bloom....looking for the photo.

Okay, I found the thread but the person who posted the photos has either moved them or removed them.
Perhaps Frank will jump in with a photo of 'Miami'. I found one online but it's the award photo taken by Greg and is copywritten. Here's a link to his web site: http://www.orchidworks.com/

Great thread! I've been thinking of this too, but have yet to try to implement it. Besides being epiphytic, many Paphs and Phrags are lithophytic, and perhaps that idea can be modified to work. Maybe mount the plant on a very porous rock, and have it sitting in water, so that it wicks up, to keep the rock always moist, and, also the roots. Would that be possible?

i was also thinking about this....i wonder if "oasis" could be used for this application. i hope i got a few people to think about this and actually try it!! we could share our experiences with it and tweek it!

heather, i found a picture of the 'miami' variety. that is EXACTLY what i am looking for!!! how can i reach frank?

Well, you can PM (private message) him here as Orchidfrank, or go to the Krull Smith website at http://krullsmith.com/t-contact.aspx or email [email protected] or phone him at 407.886.4134.

Realize that 'Miami' is an awarded plant so the 'Miami' name won't be on the plant but it may be he has a related cross available.

Hope that is of some help. Good luck!

goldenrose, i don't want the exact plant or division....an outcross or a self seedling, or one that looks like the second photo in the "two lowii" thread in the paph section would be just fine.

I understand that. This is how I look at it & how I'm thinking. I have 3 lowii's. One is the popular 'Princehouse' clone, one could probably pick one up, out of bloom or previously bloomed for $35 or less, I paid $45 for in spike. I got 'Horizontalis' from OL last fall & I believe that was $75 it's considered BS. The third is a lg.seedling (2-3yrs. to BS), anticipated to be excellent form/quality- Mem. Agnes Helbling AM/AOS x New Horizon for $25. If I were to do a mounting experiment, would I use a $75 mature plant? I don't think so! Would I use the cheapest, smallest plant? No - it's not as established, it could be more vunerable to change. So what does that leave me with? I know cheaper quality plants take the same amount of space, same maintanence as better clones but if it starts to decline, are you or anyone of us going to act soon enough to save it? You could save it but it's also going to set that plant back a year or two easily. I believe this topic was covered on another forum & if I remember, those that tried it, gave it up. Miss one day of watering, that plant stresses & now it's more susceptible to insects as well. Good Luck whichever way you go!

I think in a humid Greenhouse this might be a worthwhile experiment, but I'm not sure if you could get enough humidity indoors for mounting Paphs to work... Lol - if your SO wouldn't appreciate tables infront of all the windows, they definately wouldn't enjoy molding walls and peeling paint from high humidity!

hmmmm.......well thanks everyone for giving me different angles, that's exactly what i wanted! i'll probably just mount a box on the wall to hid the pot. it sounds like this would be a neat thing to do in a greenhouse, but indoors the high humidity needed would be too much to keep up with. maybe i'll try to mount one of my phals with a backing to protect the wall and see how that goes. (i can easily replace the phals)

Back