Mount on / with???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello all,

Could you please suggest any other material apart from sphagnum moss that could be used for mounting orchids and have the same results (holding up water etc)???

TY in advance!

i've heard that sheet moss has a different pH or such, so that things like draculas or telipogons that might not like sphagnum (maybe just telipogons), can be mounted using sheet moss. I was told that it doesn't hold as much water, so that it dries out a hair faster which would be good for things that might rot if moisture was held too close to the growths. what about small pieces of sponge?

I was thinking about rockwool and sponge too, but I thought that they would absorb too much water and cause rot problems??? I was thinking about sponges used in aquariums (that are kind of porous enough and can hold enough water). Any thoughts???

PS: There is also the natural sponge i can easily find here, but it has large holes!!!! lol

Thanasis, what is it exactly that you want to mount? I think it will be easier for us to give suggestions once we know what it is..

Oh, whatever genus, like Bulbophyllum, Chiloschista, Dendrobium, Trichoglottis etc.

I do want to use sphagnum, but the reason i would like to substitute sphagnum is that i cannot get it easily and when I want it!!! So I was looking for common materialas that will work the same way sphagnum does!

Btw, I checked for sponge and I found a natural sponge variety that looks like epiweb or very loose coconut fibres!!!...lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
or sometimes no spagh works fine,if the plant is tied in a rough surfaced mount(like cork,or untreated tree branch)but it dries quicker

How about something called a hydrolog? It's a mount using oasis (used for flower arranging) for a base, with coconut fibre surrounding it. Ask Kyle or Jason Fischer about it - looks pretty cool. I think I'll try it too.

How about something called a hydrolog? It's a mount using oasis (used for flower arranging) for a base, with coconut fibre surrounding it. Ask Kyle or Jason Fischer about it - looks pretty cool. I think I'll try it too.

Do you have any pictures of it Kevin??? TYIA

Can you find coconuts (the fruit) still in the husks? In a food mart?
If you can you can strip off the fiber and use it.

Unfortunatelly I can find only coconts without the husk!!! :(

Btw, I mounted a near to death coelogyne cumingii I have with some sponge we use for bathing at the back and some sphag in the front for decration purposes mostly! I will wait and see what happens!

TY all for the tips and ideas so far:D:D:D

Latest posts

Back