More bulbos with the new camera

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I think this is a very nice B sumatranum (B. lobbii var sumatranum)

I don't think the lens on this camera is a true macro lens and I'm still experimenting on getting better depth of field on the closeups. This is a Bulbo cornutum flower.

Canon EOS 1000D with an EFS 18-55 lens

in case you don't know already ..avoid using the ends of the range for closeups, (you have to buy really excellent glass to exploit the ends)..shoot more in the middle range.... and of course high aperture with a lot of light

...I don't think the lens on this camera is a true macro lens and I'm still experimenting on getting better depth of field on the closeups. ...
The general rule is, the closer the subject, the narrower the D/F, no matter what aperture size. You'll get the most D/F with a small aperture, like f/16, f/22 or f/32, if your lens goes that small. Be aware, though at the smallest aperture of your lens, sometimes there is a little unsharpness because of the light bending by the aperture edge. But Canon makes excellent lenses, so you may not notice that.

in case you don't know already ..avoid using the ends of the range for closeups, (you have to buy really excellent glass to exploit the ends)..shoot more in the middle range.... and of course high aperture with a lot of light

I've been experiment with the AV setting and adjusting the aperature. What starts to happen is increased sensitivity to motion, coupled with poor light can make for very messy pictures. So now I need big lights and a tripod:sob:

And turn all the fans off!!

doesnt that lens have an image stabilizer on it? play around with the ISO setting too..i havent read info on the CMOS chip in that camera but you should be able to push to at least 2000, maybe 4000

but yeah tripods are good..the heavier the better (usually) but they can get quite expensive

doesnt that lens have an image stabilizer on it? play around with the ISO setting too..i havent read info on the CMOS chip in that camera but you should be able to push to at least 2000, maybe 4000

but yeah tripods are good..the heavier the better (usually) but they can get quite expensive
The problem with pushing ISO is that the result is grainier images, which look less sharp.

I'd love to see a comparison shot against an ISO of 100.

magnified a few times

100 iso
11380559296_1c8c2f315f_b.jpg

3200 iso
11380681373_ea7c76f98c_b.jpg

6400 iso
11380598214_874e13b563_b.jpg

12800iso
11380529476_77000ab144_b.jpg

i wouldn't want to use high ISO for print but it does just fine for internet

The top photo I think looks sharpest at the center but lesser so at the sides.

The background seems in better focus away from the center in the higher ISO shots.

If I'm not imagining then that would help with the lens I'm using that produces great focus to the center of the flower, but falls apart pretty quickly as you get away from the focal center.

Latest posts

Back