MK @ 70cm but only 2 flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is MK, you should try to get it awarded.
The petal length and flower form look like it got extra dose of sanderianum in the blood, perhaps it is Paph. Shin-Yi Sanders(MK X sanderianum). Regardless what it is, for sure, it is an outstanding clone.

Can someone post some flower info on the awarded(FCC or AM) MKs, please?

If it is MK, you should try to get it awarded.
The petal length and flower form look like it got extra dose of sanderianum in the blood, perhaps it is Paph. Shin-Yi Sanders(MK X sanderianum). Regardless what it is, for sure, it is an outstanding clone.

Can someone post some flower info on the awarded(FCC or AM) MKs, please?

Well Tom if it got a second shot of sandie it was in the petals only. No strong evidence of sandie over powering the pouch nor the dorsal. I would say straight primary cross.

Well Tom if it got a second shot of sandie it was in the petals only. No strong evidence of sandie over powering the pouch nor the dorsal. I would say straight primary cross.

I disagree. There is no way this is a MK. You can't get 70cm petals with this cross. This is most likely Shin Yi Sanders. The same grower posted these MK's not long ago. All three plants have longer petals than any MK ever seen. What are the odds of that?

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43173

I disagree. There is no way this is a MK. You can't get 70cm petals with this cross. This is most likely Shin Yi Sanders. The same grower posted these MK's not long ago. All three plants have longer petals than any MK ever seen. What are the odds of that?

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43173

Hi hi... this indeed MK(Phil SM x sander SM 103cm)

Those in the attached link are her siblings, petals with 60 to 65cm length.

Below some of the previous blooms from her siblings..

The last pix is Shin-Yi Sanders for comparison

f15f1fa66409547b8447a506e1c0556e.jpgc86ef688ab16b4b096f0b909924525cb.jpg395c5e2087d79a8a130aa3e21f88f8fc.jpg
6840bd53a275a6f325a81595f05dfe72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you can get 70cm with Micheal Koopowitz, especially with modern breeding where the Sandy is over 100 and the phil is pushing 30. MK 'Alberta', an AM of 84 waaaay back in 2002 had petal length longer than 65cm.

Regardless wether it is MK (or perhaps not) these are outstanding flowers. I'm sure that the flower count will increase with the next flowering.

The pouch can be darker for shin-yi Sanders or yellow like this "MK". Take a look at the overall appearance of the flower, does it look like a typical MK to you? The dorsal of this "MK" is quite narrow for a MK also.

Find the following measurements of awarded(Taiwan) MK on a slightly out-dated pictured book(in English).

The following is the petal measurement for awarded MK back then:
0.9X36cm SM(83 points)
0.8X34.5cm BM(78)
1.0X31.5cm SM(80)
1.0X45.5cm BM(79)

so as you can see, those petal lengths of awarded MK are not nearly come close to 70cm.

Find one Shin-Yi Sanders petal measurement: 1.1X58cm SM(80)

Tony, I would like to see more than just one AOS awarded MK measurements....AOS judging has been in the worse shape ever for the the last 10+ years. They have awarded more than their share of mislabeled plants(species and hybrids) and that is all I would say about AOS judging for now.

I think this discussion is going to be the same as the last but carry on. It is all personal opinions but you can't blame some of us raised the question. It just seems a bit off IMO.

Last edited:
I still have serious doubts. Maybe it was a flask that was mislabelled.

By the parent awards these must have come from Taiwan.

Based on the Paphs in Taiwan books which go up to 2014, there have been 42 Michael Koopowitz's awarded in Taiwan. The greatest ever petal length was 56 cm ('Maymy' SM). The average petal length of all awarded clones is 43.7 cm. The average petal length of the most recently awarded MK's was 49.3 cm. A breakdown of petal length by size classes is as follows -

Petal Length (cm) ------------------Count
<35 ----------------------------------- 5
35-40--------------------------------- 10
40-45 ----------------------------------7
45-50----------------------------------12
50-56---------------------------------- 8

All the Michael Koopowitz's that have been posted here by thelink have significantly longer petals than the longest petalled clone ever awarded for this hybrid in Taiwan. And these are first flowering single growth seedlings. What petal lengths are they going to eventually reach when the plants mature? If they are in fact Michael Koopowitz's then these plants have raised the bar for this hybrid by several levels.

Another concern I have is the flower count. These plants are beautifully grown and have enormous healthy growths. I would expect growths like these on a MK to have at least 5 flowers not 2.

The flowers seem to have so much sanderianum in them. This closeup is like no MK I have seen. That dorsal and petal stance is very sanderianum dominated.

Identification aside these are amazing plants that are superbly grown. I am very jealous. I wish they were mine.

Latest posts

Back