Mislabeled

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
Would like to know please what you all would do if you found out that a flask you expected to be a certain species was completely different. I just flowered micranthum eburneum flask that turned out to be Armeniacum.
Would you contact the breeder and ask for a replacement or just accept it and move on?

I’ve heard of labels getting switched in labs, I think I have a Hanna popow that was supposed to be another species I can’t remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it would depend on, how much I actually wanted the first species - and the one it turned out to be?!

If f.ex. a batch of P. papuanum turned out to be P. papuanum fma. album instead...I would both be a happy and maybe even a somewhat rich man! In such a case, one would be a downright fool to make any complaints! :D :D

If the opposite is the case - and you really, really wanted the P. micranthum fma. eburneum, I would write the seller a courteous letter, stating the situation, and as Ozpah suggests, include a photo.
Was I then in the shoes of the vendor, I would make a proposal to solve the problem in a manner somewhat to your satisfaction! (If this was not his/hers attituce, well, we'll just wait to see for how long time, they'll be in the line of business?!)

Most kind regards,
Jens, Copenhagen

The species look so similar to me out of flower I'm not that surprised that they could get mixed up... Might not be the person you bought them from's fault, if somebody else does the flasking. You might be the first to know about it, but definitely contact the seller. They might not be able to replace it, or want to, but you never know.

Back in the long ago day (early 90s I think), there were many many flasks of Paph. sanderianum sold that all turned out to be Prince Edward of York. This was not good... :) I think that was Orchid Zone (but my memory isn't perfect) and the breeder (Terry Root) did his best to make good on it, but it must have cost him a small fortune. I just took my PEOYs and figured it was close enough.

Latest posts

Back