Help/Lead on information regarding moving plants from USA to EU

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This topic might have been raised in the past and the responses were mainly "don't do it" "can't do it" "hard to do it"....
Please only comment if you have or know of where and who to contact to find information on the matter.
This is on an individual hobbyist level and not on a commercial level.
In case I move, I would like to take as many plants as possible with me rather than starting it all over.
Thanks in advance!

in the past and the responses were mainly "don't do it" "can't do it" "hard to do it"....

well, because it's true. Whether it's the US or Zimbabwe, in the EU these are referred to as "third countries" and same laws apply to all of them when it comes to import of plants, animals and/or plant/animal parts. This is basically forbidden unless accompanied by the phytosanitary certificate of the country of export (in the US this might be issued by the USDA?) and orchids might need CITES as well, although I'm not sure about that one when it comes to import of "home-grown"/flask-derived plants. But phyto is definitely needed and any plants/plant matter (except some fruits like coconuts, etc.) will be confiscated and destroyed if found not accompanied by it (+ you'd be charged for the costs of their disposal).

edit: adding source: Trade in plants & plant products from non-EU countries

Back