Mislabeled Orchid on Tv SHow

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
found another fact check gone wrong on a TV show...Bones season 6 ep 14 timestamp 26:35. They called it an Oncidium but looks like Cattleya or Laelia

Hard to say for certain, but it sure looks a great deal like an isotria to me...

Naha, because: 1) The plant in the show has a very short stem supporting the leave (does not mean that Isotria would not have a short stem, but usually does not) 2) The leaves on the plant from the show have a very distinctive midrib, has netted veins and therefore looks more like a dicot (Isotria has a more faint midrib on their leaves and is a monocot) and 3) it is hard for me to believe that Isotria would ever be found in such a disturbed placed such as the dumpster in the show.

Ps. I think I just became part of the group of people that takes pride on finding useless misinformation on shows that I have never seen before :rollhappy:

I need a more time-consuming hobby *sigh*

The picture is definitely not isotria medeoloides, and I dont think its any orchid :)
Looks like three separate very dark green glossy leaves with one or two flowers tall buds in the middle of the plant, very short stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... unfortunately shows commonly do this. Probably because, for 99% of the audience, they don't know what the "real" thing is supposed to look like and it's too much time and money for them to track down the actual specimen or a decent facsimile.

I think my favorite instance of this was in "Midsommer Murders." They had an entire episode that revolved around people murdering for a smuggled Paph rothschildianum flavum (a fictitious ultra-rare alba form). At the end of the show when they showed it... it was some generic yellow complex paph hybrid (a bulldog) :p. I sighed and turned to my wife - "They could have at least used Dollgoldii or something else at least vaguely roth-like!" She just shook her head and walked away :p.

Yeah... unfortunately shows commonly do this. Probably because, for 99% of the audience, they don't know what the "real" thing is supposed to look like and it's too much time and money for them to track down the actual specimen or a decent facsimile.

I think my favorite instance of this was in "Midsommer Murders." They had an entire episode that revolved around people murdering for a smuggled Paph rothschildianum flavum (a fictitious ultra-rare alba form). At the end of the show when they showed it... it was some generic yellow complex paph hybrid (a bulldog) :p. I sighed and turned to my wife - "They could have at least used Dollgoldii or something else at least vaguely roth-like!" She just shook her head and walked away :p.

Practical realities- how often is there a blooming dolgoldi? (I have 4 BS that haven’t bloomed in the last 7 years).

Practical realities- how often is there a blooming dolgoldi? (I have 4 BS that haven’t bloomed in the last 7 years).

I know, I know... I do believe I addressed that in the first line - "it's too much time and money for them to track down the actual specimen or a decent facsimile"

I also said - "...or something else at least vaguely roth-like!" ...there are other roth hybrids that are yellow (Dollgoldii was just the first that came to my mind). There are also other species and hybrids thereof that are "roth-esque." I know it adds such little value to the show that I would never expect them to actually put the time into tracking one down... but I can still get righteously indignant that they presume I know nothing about what a roth looks like :sob:.

Also, makes you want to give props to the shows that go "above and beyond" - it's not something you think about often, but there are shows out there that agonize over minor details that very very few people will notice - like the shape of Don Draper's ice cubes :rollhappy:.

I remember reading this a few years ago (link)... it's quite interesting what some directors nitpick on...

Latest posts

Back