Mint Chocolate

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Malipoense x leucochilum.
Fresh open bloom which expanded quite a bit over time. I should have taken more pictures when it was fully open.

bZqLJuzl.jpg

Pulling it up on Kew says it's accepted. I noticed it recently when "old" hybrids with new grex names started popping up in the awards record.

Pulling it up on Kew says it's accepted. I noticed it recently when "old" hybrids with new grex names started opping up in the awards record.

Tony, this must be a misconception. Look at KEW 'The Plant List' it lists Paph. leucochilum as synonym of Paph godefroyae. Also the 'RHS Orchid Register' lists the pollen parent of Paph Mint Chocolate as Paph. godefroyae.

Tony, seems there is a contradiction in different sites of KEW. Your mentioned source KEWScience Paph leucochilum says accepted i.e. by H. Koopowitz (2012) but Koopowitz himself wrote in his book 'Tropical Slipper Orchids' (2008) about this it would be Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum. One of my sources 'The Plant List' Paph. leucochilum is based on a collaboration between KEW, the Royal Botanic Gardens and Missouri Botanical Garden and they don't accept Paph. leucochilum at all, neighter to be a species nor to be a variety or forma. So far, I found few sources which accept Paph. leucochilum to be a true species. Another one is the 'Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia' of Jay Pfahl Paph. leucochilum
IMHO I don't see a true species in Paph. leucochilum but a forma or variety of Pah. godefroyae.

Back