micranthum album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really beautiful. I love this species.

That gives me hope. I thought I couldn't provide cool enough temps for micranthum, even in winter 18C at night is the lowest. I got two to see how they do under my conditions. One is growing, albeit slowly, it's made about 5 new growths since I got it about a year ago. The other does nothing, it's like a plastic plant.

I thought about getting just one or two as well just to see how they fare.
For the time being, I'm busy with hybrids. I love them! :)

I hope yours bloom for you. and post pictures when they do! :)

Just crack the window open from late October to early December?

Well, the thing is my windows either open or close. I can't just leaves it open a little bit.
I do leave the window open until about mid October depending on the night temperature minimum.

Most of my plants purely tropical or something that do not need (or should not) to go below 65F to do well, which is another reason why I can make a change for just one or two species.

If I had a house with a basement, then that would have been a great place to build a light set up for micranthum, armeniacum and wow, who knows what more. Miltonipsis and on and on and one... :D
just a dream. Oh, well...

Wow! The flower is beautiful! The miranthum eburenum variety doesn't need the cold night temperature to flower them from what I have heard.

I know. I saw at least three people here ( two of them are you and Eggshell :p) have bloomed micranthum and/or armeniacum with the winter min of 19 or 18C.
How many of them do you have though? and how long have you had them for?
I'm sure some clones don't care about the winter conditions and still do well, but I just believe they will do their best when given conditions close to their natural habitat.

I have 5 micranthums. I think i've had them for 2-3 years. I have yet to rebloom any of them. But then micranthums don't bloom every year. I have bloomed and rebloomed a lot of the primaries which a lot of people have trouble blooming, sighting too warm temps.

Of course giving the plants conditions that match their natural habitat is ideal but most of the time it's an impossible thing to do especially for us indoor growers. I guess my point is it's not absolutely necessary to give them a cold rest to bloom. And yes there are clones that are reluctant bloomers regardless of conditions. If you find a regular bloomer, keep it.

Well, the thing is my windows either open or close. I can't just leaves it open a little bit.
I do leave the window open until about mid October depending on the night temperature minimum.

Most of my plants purely tropical or something that do not need (or should not) to go below 65F to do well, which is another reason why I can make a change for just one or two species.

If I had a house with a basement, then that would have been a great place to build a light set up for micranthum, armeniacum and wow, who knows what more. Miltonipsis and on and on and one... :D
just a dream. Oh, well...

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24822&page=2

Please read this thread. Ive heard a lot of times that armeniacum needs even cooler temps than micranthum but the guy grows these amazing plants in warm temps all year! We cant argue with his results.

I should also emphasize that I am very picky when it comes to buying nice clones. I picked this plant out of 100s of others. He grows in a rather warm climate himself, especially in the past few years.

So between him line breeding select clones, the warmer climates and picking out a strong plant, I shouldn't have that much room for error. Especially when I have already been growing these types for a bit.

I would say give it a shot. Just be selective about the plant you choose.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24822&page=2

Please read this thread. Ive heard a lot of times that armeniacum needs even cooler temps than micranthum but the guy grows these amazing plants in warm temps all year! We cant argue with his results.

Yep, that is the guy I was talking about in my previous post.
It's that particular plant that happens to thrive in his conditions, and you cannot generalize based on this one case.
The owner of that large specimen I think mentions that he/she grows a bunch of clones so there is something blooming every year reliably.

Yep, that is the guy I was talking about in my previous post.
It's that particular plant that happens to thrive in his conditions, and you cannot generalize based on this one case.
The owner of that large specimen I think mentions that he/she grows a bunch of clones so there is something blooming every year reliably.

It's all about finding what blooms in your conditions. You're right. He has 3 baskets though. And from what I understand, they all bloom all year.

very nice album!!!
It should improve in size and shape when bigger, based on my own experience with this species...

Latest posts

Back