Mexi is trying to escape

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens to the stolons if you just let them hang over the edge of the pot? Will they continue to develop and have a plant hanging over the edge?
Sounds like it would make a nice hanging plant?

Unlike Heather I was too lazy to get mine re potted into a bonsai pot, and now it has stolons hanging out all over. They do put out aerial roots. Mine is a real mess compared to Heathers, but it seems healthy enough. It blooms for months at a time.

Do the plantlets that hang over the edge of the pot bloom?
Sounds like the plant would make a great cascading hanging basket if left to grow.

Perhaps cutting the stolons between the rooted growths in the media would increase the amount of stolons and make a fuller basket faster?

I wonder if the stolons naturally hang or it the plant would like to climb?

This years blooming growths just managed to get some roots into the pot. But well see soon about some of the mature growths with free roots.

Do the plantlets that hang over the edge of the pot bloom?
Sounds like the plant would make a great cascading hanging basket if left to grow.

Perhaps cutting the stolons between the rooted growths in the media would increase the amount of stolons and make a fuller basket faster?

I wonder if the stolons naturally hang or it the plant would like to climb?

Rick and Ed M. seem to be on par with me regarding size, growths, and this species in general. It doesn't seem to be posted about much by others and when it is it smaller. Not that that means anything, just trying to clue people in to who's growing it.

I'm not "cutting it"!! I want to see what it does...I'll be sure to update you, no worries!

That is a husky looking plant rick. It will be interesting to see how the growths hang if they are not touching anything. The should orient themselves up wards I would think. I wonder what the spikes will do from the hanging growths without support.

Maybe the stolons would like to climb a pole? Anyone ever try that?

Each plantlet makes stolons, sometimes more than one, and they all branch off differently in direction. Usually one from each side of the plantlet I guess.

I'm not really sure about the roots - again, I am reticent to look to see what is going on since it seems so happy but here's a photo of the roots the last time I repotted.

It is a pretty interesting plant - I find it rather fascinating (if you couldn't tell!)

FWIW, I think it was in a pot that was smaller, 5.5" maybe, and deeper, so it's in the shape of the pot. I think you can see how the roots are pretty close to the plant, though. It's a pretty shallow grower.

Do you have any idea how they grow in Nature?

I have a couple new growths that aren't stolons too, Rick. Wonder why some are and some aren't.

Lance, the spikes are really wirey, so I imagine they'd just grow upwards towards the light without support.

Somewhere I heard it was due to water availability. The stolon growth is "seeking" water. I have been watering pretty good this summer, and the swamp cooler has increased the humidity at this end of the GH, so maybe that got the non-stolonous growth going.

Lance I don't think the stolons over the pot are hanging out of gravity, but orienting towards a dark surface. They are almost woody in texture. I'm not sure if you could train this plant to climb up, but it would probably ramble downwards looking for shade and water. The growths and spikes all tend to point up.

Latest posts

Back