Mexi is trying to escape

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

Reaction score
My mexi has recovered from the root loss. But now it is trying to escape from the pot. It started to grow stolon and its tip is at the edge of the pot now. I was believing it stops earllier and starts the new growth within the pot. But it didn't. I can't bend it and it is not deep in the potting medium, it is almost at the surface. Actually, it looks like it is preparing to jump over the edge into another pot. Is the repotting the only way to catch it? :sob:

Shadow, what if you put another pot next to the one it is in and let it root in that pot?

Putting a pot next to it is a good way to make a division, but I don't think your plant is ready to divide. Repot into a shallow flat pot/dish with the old growth near the edge and the new growth in the middle.

Kyle

Thanks for responses. It is not ready to be divided - I have only one growth. Looks like I have to repot it even if I don't want to. I don't have a suitable wider pot at the moment. Does somebody know how long I should expect the stolon to be? At the Heather's pot they don't look too long, but when I repotted my mexi last time (from the seller's pot) I found old stolon and it was about 15 cm long. Now I hope they don't always grow so long.

Mine can get as long as 15cm, definitely. I would try to find a bonsai pot if you can, they tend to be shallow. I also try to cover the stolons with mix which is not always possible, and I "tie" them down with several loops of aluminum wire along the stolon. Just be careful though when doing that with a stolon that is not new because they get brittle and break easily.

You could buy a 12 inch pot and cut it so its only 2-3 inches deep. Or use a saucer for a large clay pot.

Kyle

Mine can get as long as 15cm, definitely. I would try to find a bonsai pot if you can, they tend to be shallow. I also try to cover the stolons with mix which is not always possible, and I "tie" them down with several loops of aluminum wire along the stolon. Just be careful though when doing that with a stolon that is not new because they get brittle and break easily.

I have problems with bonsai pot over here. To find one, I need to go to another city. :(

I cover stolon with the thing layer of the sphag moss. Seems, this method works well too.

Heather, I can just imagine the situation, when all your growths start to grow 15 cm stolons in opposite directions! :crazy:

First off, I just have to say, Eric, you are most UNhelpful. You should really work on that. :p

Second. I was bored this morning, since I am not one of the chosen ones who is wealthy enough to go to the Parkside Orchid Fest today. :sob:

So, instead, Shadow, I took photos for you of my stolons and how I attempt to tie them down.

Here's one of the longest stolons - note the loops of aluminum wire.
img1704of2.jpg

Here's one that REALLY hates its neighbors! :rollhappy: Note the loops of wire holding them close to the surface.
img1706ha7.jpg

This is the wire I use. You can get it here at most florist shops. Ask, they may only use it for arrangement accessories. You could use another type of wire but make sure it won't rust. A heavy duty floral wire would likely work. I got this tip from Marilyn LeDoux - she also uses the loops to wire down sphagnum around the stolon. I haven't gone to that length yet but may...Shadow - if you can't find any there let me know, I have plenty and would be happy to send you some.
img1710tq5.jpg

Here's an example of the size I cut - an inch or two seems to work best. It needs to be long enough to hold down the stolon with its weight, and it's pretty light since it is alluminum.

img1711ru2.jpg

I bend it into a loop:
img1712iu5.jpg

Here's a new stolon that needs a tie down for an example:
img1713mz1.jpg

Shadow, I hope this is of some use to you and that you now know, it's not just your plant that does this! :)

WOW! Heather, that is a brilliant masterclass! Thank's a lot! I think, I have the similar wire over here and even I have one reel at home.

Today I've rushed to the local food store and I've been so lucky! I've got food storage box in the shape of bonsai pot. :D So, my mexi in in it's new home already. Let's see how long this stolon is going to be.

By the way, it has only two roots. Well, this specie doesn't seem to be too rooty.

I see that your stolons are escaping too. :)

Nice blooms! May be I will see mine blooming one day...

By the way, it has only two roots. Well, this specie doesn't seem to be too rooty.

I think that's true. It just doesn't seem to be that root prone. I mean, I have plenty of roots down under the surface, but the stolons, as long as you try to keep them close to the mix, should be fine. I think that's why I don't worry too much about it. I repot every year to try to get the stolons down farther in the mix, but I haven't had to up the size of this pot (which is 25cm long x 18cm wide by 10cm deep), and certainly have not needed a deeper pot. I think they are just shallow growing plants and this is just the way they are.

Lance, I think so.

They grow relatively slowly. Once they start leafing out, they're about a year from blooming size, I think. Like that one in the first photo. I may repot it this fall after it finishes blooming. It was repotted (in spike) last July. It's been blooming since April, by the way.

I was just thinking about whether I will repot this year, and I probably won't. The media hasn't degraded much and the plant seems so happy. So, I'll just let those growths keep going and we'll see what happens, ok?

It sounds like a fun plant to experiment with.
Does each growth produce it's own set of roots?
Will each plantlet make a new stolon that branches off in a new direction or does it only continue on to make a single in-line chain of growth?

Each plantlet makes stolons, sometimes more than one, and they all branch off differently in direction. Usually one from each side of the plantlet I guess.

I'm not really sure about the roots - again, I am reticent to look to see what is going on since it seems so happy but here's a photo of the roots the last time I repotted.

It is a pretty interesting plant - I find it rather fascinating (if you couldn't tell!)

mexi4eh8.jpg

FWIW, I think it was in a pot that was smaller, 5.5" maybe, and deeper, so it's in the shape of the pot. I think you can see how the roots are pretty close to the plant, though. It's a pretty shallow grower.

Latest posts

Back