mexi from bloomfield orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is one of those teaser bud watch threads, but I had the camera out so....

I've been watching this flower stem elongate, and now it looks like it might have two or three buds, which is a first for me. One thing I did differently is last fall or so I put the clear plastic dome on the Joe Pot to see what would happen (increasing humidity), and the leaves got larger and I have this spike! I had the pot close to the fluorescent lights, so it's a bit pink. The buds are tiny! After reading about how these seem to like being wet and airy, was thinking about setting up a seep tray so that the plant can be constantly watered. In it's mexican environment, the banks probably have water seeping through them

mexixero311a.JPG

stem and buds

mexixero311b.JPG

whole plant (sort of). there are three growths right now.

You'd want to cut the side of the pot open to get this youngster into "ground-contact"!!! Otherwise it won't root... It sort of needs to be pinned down (they are a bit like Phrag. besseae that way!).

You'd want to cut the side of the pot open to get this youngster into "ground-contact"!!! Otherwise it won't root... It sort of needs to be pinned down (they are a bit like Phrag. besseae that way!).

I've had totally "aerial" growths do fine and bloom too. I also repotted eventually into a wide enough pot to give all the growths some ground space, pinned them, and they ended up rooting too.

For me this is one of my easiest plants to grow, and I find it very tolerant.

That's a nice long flower stem Charles. Maybe it will branch too!! Mine tend to be pink / orange also.

thanks. yes, i've looked at that countless times and thought that same thing, but continual procrastination has prevented me from doing so! I was also told I could make a ball of sphagnum and wrap it around the base and tie it together and after roots start, put it into another pot

Wonderful mexi! I have one, but it seems to be in a vegetative state. I gave it a good dose of dolemite per the recommendations here, and it might actually be doing something for the first time in two years.

that was fast

I was amazed tonight when I took a peek in one of my plant carts and saw the mexipedium bud opening up! I took a hand-held pic at medium resolution, when things open up i'll take some pics close-up with some good light (and a tripod)

mexixero311c.JPG

the flower is quite pink on top, and the pouch is still crumpled (and yes there is a mealybug hiding in the pic, who will be deceased soon! :mad: )

Latest posts

Back