Masdevallia not growing well

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orchid Boy... I too have struggled with Masdie's now for about 1 1/2 years. I think every Masdie that sees me now must shriek in horror and want to hide as I've killed all but one now, lol... But this one is the longest lasting one I've had this far! Personally, I see the key to these as doing your research (which it appears you have and are doing) and enjoy the learning process. I promise that one day I will get it or find the right one for my conditions, and you will as well!!! Just enjoy the journey and keep asking questions. I'm learning so much from this thread, lol...

On a side note, as others have suggested, you might try getting creative with your growing culture as well. I know a person who fills a terrarium with ice every morning to grow these, ad another that uses a cave, lol... Not saying these will work, but you can learn from how others do things and modify to fit your space/needs/time. Currently, I'm experimenting with vase culture and using ice cubes in the base to cool the inside/root zone if the vase.

zeer pots are the way to go; they are mentioned here and also in other threads. placing a normal pot inside another one, with sand or moss in between, moistened so that the plant media isn't moistened at the same time, and wicking out through the external clay pot cools the roots. you can get away with having a 'cool' plant in 'warm' temperatures if you can keep the roots and base of plant cool. people grow cypripediums in pots in europe and other places by using the zeer pot method

if the top of the outer clay pot is higher than the plant pot, you can use the wicking/cooling from the clay to humidify and cool the air around the cool-desiring plants' leaves

Oooohhhhh, another method to try!!!! Thank you!!!

So, from my brief research, the putter pot can be glazed. Is that correct? I'd think that would trap heat, but I may be wrong.

the inside pot can be glazed or plastic; better to not wick moisture since moisture can wick 'in', which could be bad. the outside pot must transfer moisture out, so can't have a finish on it which would seal in moisture

the inside pot could have a glaze, heat would transfer from high to low depending on the material the pot is made of, and maybe slightly affected by the glaze that might be on the outside of the pot, but i'm guessing wouldn't affect it that much imo

I am sooooo going to try this!!! Now to buy some more "test subjects"!!! I'm sure they will be screaming in horror as I order!!! LOL!!!

Latest posts

Back