MAOC trophy catts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
Some of my plants took a little trip to the MAOC in Louisville last weekend (Sept.24-26). Once again, despite my hopes, the judges didn't award the as-yet unawarded species Paph.vejvarutianum which had two flowering spikes this time (the last time it was before them was at the judging center about five years ago with the original description and a note from the author of that description verifying the plant was indeed that species, and pics from the original description and the internet - they said they didn't know anything about it and I should bring it back after the species had some awards - ????? WTF??? Isn't that THEIR job??), but I was surprised by two special awards on catts I just sent for color. As I work weekends and never get to out of town shows, I have seldom garnered any trophies but a few of my plants sometimes make their way to a show in the society's exhibit (Central Ohio Orchid Society). But I'm pleased by any I do get. The trophies were sets of crystal coasters, which I thought was a very nice choice. Having been involved in the selection of trophies for my local society at times in the past, I appreciate the thought and effort involved in such selections.

Sc.Crystelle Smith 'Hampshire', Jim Topmiller Award (Best mini catt in show)
Blc.Owen Holmes 'Radiance', Hedman Award (Large catt)

Attachments

• crystelle0910.jpg
    crystelle0910.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 49
  • owenholmesradiancefull0910adj.jpg
    owenholmesradiancefull0910adj.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 48
  • coastertrophy.jpg
    coastertrophy.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 43
Sometimes, you just can't win. Maybe somebody should tell those judges to stop sitting on the fence. Saying a plant can't be judged because it's never won anything before is a lame excuse. If it's not worth judging they should at least explain why.

Usually with nice, previously unawarded species, they give a CBR. ???

No, they're too ignorant and chicken. They want someone else to do it first. Not illegal - pre-cites. Just our typical crappy judges here - the same ones who passed up my then very rare curtisii album at our MAOC in 2001, one judge overheard saying it was a 'nice maudiae'. Idiots!

Tenman, please elaborate on "not illegal- pre-cites" in respect to your vejvarut. Thanks.

Sometimes, you just can't win. Maybe somebody should tell those judges to stop sitting on the fence. Saying a plant can't be judged because it's never won anything before is a lame excuse. If it's not worth judging they should at least explain why.
If that excuse were carried to the extreme, there would never have been any awards on anything. :confused:

that is not pre cities, and it should technically be considered illegal. the official species description, as linked by Olaf Gruss, was published in 2003. about 15 years after CITES was implemented.
Judges dont want to judge illegal plants because its a headache and a waste of time. believe me, once hangi or any others are legalized i will be the first one to start judging and evaluating.

You have your facts wrong; please read the above-referenced thread and my posts. The plants came in pre-cites but the species was only described later from those plants. Please be sure of your facts before posting Invalid excuses for our idiot slacker judges.

Tenman, many growers are in a similar boat-so to speak. If one is a member of a society, for example, with some older growers, there are quite a few divisions running around of pre-cites plants. I'm lucky to have such a mentor in my group who gives his divisions freely and has quite a collection of pre-cites paphs.

I don't think I'm lucky enough to have any, Eric;> But, I hope he's kept his receipts-though how many of us would keep receipts for plants you purchased 40 years ago!

Latest posts

Back