Malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful! When I bought my flask at a show, a competing vendor with more mature seedlings told me "you are going to be waiting 10 years to see flowers out of your flask."

He was correct :)

Wonderful! When I bought my flask at a show, a competing vendor with more mature seedlings told me "you are going to be waiting 10 years to see flowers out of your flask."

He was correct :)
Did you get the flask of Sam's Choice sib cross? How many have you bloom 10 years later? and what was the quality like?
I'm thinking of either cross this onto my giant when it blooms in a few months or just self the giant fragrant one.
I will wait a few more days to see if the fragrance kicks in on this one.

This particular plant was imported from Hung Sheng and it was a mid sized plant at about 6inch wide from tip to tip. The leaf is over 9-10in long now!
The other malipoe is Windy Hill x Ruth. I wonder if anyone can tell me when that particular cross was made so I can calculate the time it took to bloom out of flask. That plant bloomed for the first time in 2016 or earlier.
I would think malipoense would be just like any other paph. Some or all may bloom in just 3-4years out of flask. Most will take longer. some may take even longer.

Did you get the flask of Sam's Choice sib cross? How many have you bloom 10 years later? and what was the quality like?
I'm thinking of either cross this onto my giant when it blooms in a few months or just self the giant fragrant one.
I will wait a few more days to see if the fragrance kicks in on this one.

This particular plant was imported from Hung Sheng and it was a mid sized plant at about 6inch wide from tip to tip. The leaf is over 9-10in long now!
The other malipoe is Windy Hill x Ruth. I wonder if anyone can tell me when that particular cross was made so I can calculate the time it took to bloom out of flask. That plant bloomed for the first time in 2016 or earlier.
I would think malipoense would be just like any other paph. Some or all may bloom in just 3-4years out of flask. Most will take longer. some may take even longer.

I think it was a Sam's Choice x Spiderweb, circa 2014. Have 8 nice plants left. They are growing well, but no flowers yet for me.

However I gave a plant to a fellow OS member about 3 years ago, and his bloomed that year, so that was probably 6 years.

Justin-
Are those plants on the large side?
Hopefully they will flower soon for you.
So, some of the seedlings from that batch bloomed in 6 years out of flask. I wouldn't be surprised if some other seedlings from that cross bloomed even sooner than that.

Do the outcross. & Yes, 2.5-4 years for the fast ones.
I'm thinking of doing the outcross in the case I don't find any donation of fragrant malipoense to mate it with. 😁
Suddenly, I get the desire to make some fun hybrids but too many to decide.
Remake of Wilbur Chang (x Fanaticum), Emma Decker (x Fumi's Delight), Envy Green (x primulinum), or crazy stuff like x Delrosi, x Gloria Naugle...I've seen some similar hybrids with great results, which I'm sure is far and few between.

Novelty breeding involving a species works better when the species is the pollen parent. Often those intersectional hybrids are pollen sterile. You might get lucky, though.
Luckily, my Gloria Naugle is spiking again, so I'm gonna put malipo pollen on GN.
I'm gonna put Delrosi pollen on malipo.
The giant malipo wiill be used for malipoense outcross. Problems solved!! 😁

Luckily, my Gloria Naugle is spiking again, so I'm gonna put malipo pollen on GN.
I'm gonna put Delrosi pollen on malipo.
The giant malipo wiill be used for malipoense outcross. Problems solved!! 😁
holy crap where do you find the space to grow out all of these seedlings

so jealous of even the POSSIBILITY that someone can do that...

:)

Latest posts

Back