Leptotes pohlitinocoi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This species was described from Bahia about 11 years ago, but it is very common and popular already. I got it about 2 years ago from Florália, Brazil. After getting acclimated (it took a bit longer than others, about a couple months), the growth started to accelerate, and at least doubled in size. It has flowered 3-4 times last year, but it was entangled by roots of its neighbor, so I haven't looked at the flowers closely until now. But this is the first time it made a decent amount of flowers (around 27), so I had to sacrifice the root of the neighbor.

It does seem ok in lower temp. This year I'm going with 72/52F for the winter. In the past, I was going with 60F min in the winter. Summer is around 80-85/65-70F.

I just measured the light after Eric asked about the condition below. It has been growing at 900fc (PPFD=100 micromol/m^2/s) about 15" under 4x T5HO (it's pink plant spectrum) with 13h/day. The bulb output seems to deteriorate quick, so it was probably getting more light, but it can grow and flower at the relatively low light. I added this 20W DIY LED about a month ago, so now, it's getting 1500fc (180 micromol/m^2/s). I don't remember if the initiation of buds were before or after the increase in the light.

Leptotes pohlitinocoi on Flickr

It stays compact (it's a 2" Rand's Aircone Pot for the scale).

Last edited:
Very nice Naoki. Is it possible that you pollinate a couple of flowers? I have a unicolor in pod if you would like to swap a few seeds.

Eric, it seems to grow ok, so I haven't paid too much attention to its requirement. This is the only Leptotes I have, so I'm not sure if my condition is useful or not, but here is at bit of my culture condition.

All of my plants are in enclosures (since ambient RH is usually 20-30% in the winter), so RH is around 60-75% (could go up to 90% at night). I haven't measured the light level, but I'm guessing around 1000fc (150 micromol/m^2/s or so), which is probably slightly higher than Paph level. [edit: my guess was close, but I added the correct measured value of light to the original post]. 13h of light. Phrag. longifolium and P. schlimii are flowering close to this. Watering is like Cattleya type (I let it dry out completely). Lots of people seems to grow it mounted, but it seems to be ok potted at my place. I think it has Med. Bark:cheap WI sphag = 3:1. I've heard that they don't like to get their roots disturbed. This somewhat agrees with my observation that the initial acclimation was a bit slow (it was bare root).

Last edited:
Gorgeous, Naoki! My seedling is starting its first buds, I hope the color is as nice as yours.

Eric, I grow pohlitinocoi and grew bicolor on red cedar with thin coco fiber pads. I couldn't keep their roots healthy in pots but they've been trouble-free and vigorous on mounts.

Nat, that's exciting! It does seem to go from buds to flowers quickly.

Troy, I stuck my nose into there, and it seems to have some smell, but my nose is kind of stuffy now, and my wife (with good nose) is out of town.

Mike, pollination is done.

Eric, I added the light measurement to the original post (my guess was pretty close).

Eric, I grow pohlitinocoi and grew bicolor on red cedar with thin coco fiber pads. I couldn't keep their roots healthy in pots but they've been trouble-free and vigorous on mounts.
Thanks for the advice. If I ever see the alba for sale again..:(
Eric, I added the light measurement to the original post (my guess was pretty close).
:rollhappy: At our place it's either bright, in front, or dark, behind the other plants, period! Thanks.

Back