Leaf collapse? Why??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantis

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I´m writing here to know you opinion about these pictures that I´ve taken from some of my friend’s plants.

As you see, there is a kind of collapse on them. It appears only in a few plants (lowii, tranlienianum...) but the rest show no signs, and they stay close to the affected plants.

It appears in both old and new leaves, but it doesn´t seem to affect flowering capacity or plant development. It might be only esthetic (for the time being…).

My friend and I live in the same town. Our growing condition are similar (a bit warmer and brighter in her case) but I haven´t had this problem in any of my plants yet, even when they´re kept colder and drier.

The growing conditions are:
- Temps. around 15 ºC and 20 ºC in winter, and 25 ºC - 32 ºC in summer.
- Humidity around 65-75% in the day and 40-45% at night.
- Fed regime: 12-30-12 and 23-6-10 very diluted once every few waterings during growing period (almost no fertilizer in winter).
- Plants are kept moist but not wet. Dryer in winter. Water here is very soft.

What do you think? Genetic, culture issues, temps, pest?
Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Attachments

• IMG-20140323-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20140323-WA0016.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20140225_125801.jpg
    IMG_20140225_125801.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20140225_125820.jpg
    IMG_20140225_125820.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20140225_125914.jpg
    IMG_20140225_125914.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20140225_125957.jpg
    IMG_20140225_125957.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 71
Same here.

Roots killed by watering too often and/or not repotting enough.

Usually what happens is that the roots rot (due to watering too often) and the leaves begin to look floppy so everyone thinks they are not watering enough and give more water. That kills the roots faster.

Repot and water only after plant is dry.

I'm not sure its dehydration or the other plants would show similar symptoms wouldn't they? Also paph leaves don't really go ''floppy'' from what I've seen especially lowii. I could be wrong but the dehydration I have seen does not form pits. It begins with the leaf losing its shine and slowly becoming dryer and starts to curl inwardly.
I have seen this kind of thing after spraying with some pesticides. Some plants affected some not.
Look forward to seeing the answer to this problem!

I have the same thing happening on a few of my phals, and only the phals. Some have suggested it's insects - false mites that cannot be seen without serious magnification.

I've sprayed with SucraShield twice already, will do a third application this weekend. Of course, if it's insects, I won't see any results on the existing leaves, I'll have to wait for new leaves to come out to be sure if the remedy has worked.

Looks similar to the mesophyll cell collapse we see in Phalaenopsis leaves when cold water is use for irrigation.

Tom, how warm should the water be? I use RO water, and the storage tank is in a poorly heated part of the house, so the water is probably at 10 degrees or less. Is this too cold? I do have the option of adding hot RO water to the sprayer.

IMHO the water should be close to the temperature of the growing area. If you're watering with water that's 10C (50F) or less, and the growing area is around 20C (68F) mesophyll cell collapse may be possibility, especially in the strap leaved Paph. species/hybrids.

Also humidity is low at night.

If roots are shot they are going to loose a lot of water if the humidity is low.

Humidity generally goes up at night. Why the drop?

Thank you all. I appreciate all you opinions a lot.

For those who bet for root problems, I have some recent pics taken last saturday:
- First photo shows the roots of an adult multigrowth P. lowii.
IMG-20140405-WA0010.jpg
- Second photo shows a multigrowth P. Lady Rothschild also afected.
IMG-20140405-WA0004.jpg

I'm not sure its dehydration or the other plants would show similar symptoms wouldn't they? Also paph leaves don't really go ''floppy'' from what I've seen especially lowii. I could be wrong but the dehydration I have seen does not form pits. It begins with the leaf losing its shine and slowly becoming dryer and starts to curl inwardly.
I have seen this kind of thing after spraying with some pesticides. Some plants affected some not.
Look forward to seeing the answer to this problem!
Stone: that´s exactly my thought. A dehydration suggests that, if the watering schedule is similar for all the plants, most of them must be affected (well, considering they had exactly the same mix, root mass and pot size).
What about an individual tendency to dehydration? I.e. lowii seems more prone to be affected compared to other related species...

Can you fix this with re-hydration?
Paph_LdyMacBeth: No, I can´t. And it appears also in summer, when watering frequency is higher.

I have the same thing happening on a few of my phals, and only the phals. Some have suggested it's insects - false mites that cannot be seen without serious magnification.

I've sprayed with SucraShield twice already, will do a third application this weekend. Of course, if it's insects, I won't see any results on the existing leaves, I'll have to wait for new leaves to come out to be sure if the remedy has worked.
ALToronto: that´s another good explanation we´ve been thinking about. Some of the affected leaves have a kind of path, but only some of them. We´ve never been able to see insects... but I think it´s a good idea to search for it using a microscope. Thank you ;)

Looks similar to the mesophyll cell collapse we see in Phalaenopsis leaves when cold water is use for irrigation.
Tom: You´re right but, as she doesn´t water by irrigation I don´t think that is the problem. Moreover I asked her about the water temperature (just to discard some kind of temperature stress) and she is very careful with it.

I vote mesophyll collapse, as well. Often a temperature related phenomenon, I understand.
Ozpaph: we were asked about it too. Someone (I can´t remember who) suggested excess cold as possible cause, but I keep my plants in winter under lower temperature than she (maybe 3-4 ºC lower) and my plants don´t show any sign (well, I have to say that my only Phrag. is not very happy with this treatment :p)

Also humidity is low at night.
If roots are shot they are going to loose a lot of water if the humidity is low.
Humidity generally goes up at night. Why the drop?
Rick: I find this input specially interesting because it´s something we haven´t thought about yet.
In our case, we grow our plants indoor (at home) and the humidity we have is what we can reach using foggers. We have cold dry winters (Humidity 30-35% outside) and extremely hot and dry summers (with less than 20% outside) so, when we switch off the foggers, the humidity drops to those low levels.

Thank you all again for your help!

atlantis;477784 [QUOTE said:
What about an individual tendency to dehydration? I.e. lowii seems more prone to be affected compared to other related species...

Being a true epiphyte, lowii should be more resistant to drying than just about any other paph. (except perhaps niveum and godyfroyae) Therefore I would say chemical damage or temp damage?

Being a true epiphyte, lowii should be more resistant to drying than just about any other paph.

A true epiphyte in Borneo and Philippines where air humidity rarely drops below 80% and it rains almost every day.

If we were talking about epiphytic Cattleya maxima I'd say no problem with the sparse humidity and watering regime.

I've had this problem on a few of my plants which occurred last summer in the UK. It was an exceptional summer with many hot days. My plants also got extra light so a combination of heat and too much light may have been the cause. I tried to keep the temp in the gh down but they reached 95F at some points.

Gary
UK

I water with 40 degree F water ( I watered with warm water in years past) and have no problem with any of my paphs developing pits( on this level anyway, except for lowii's whether it be warm or cold water)...this seems to be a common problem with lowii's...and none of the aforementioned theories fixed it when I grew them, so I gave up on them

Latest posts

Back