Laelia rubescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I've had this plant for over 20 years. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of trouble with it and then I nearly killed it a few years ago in the freeze. The last two years were particularly disappointing as the spike aborted both times. However, I've been using less Potassium and more Calcium and Magnesium lately and it's finally produced a wonderful bunch of flowers. Interestingly, they have always been white with a dark throat. This year, as well as being more numerous and large, they are also quite pink. Now, all I have to do is grow this single stem blooming plant up into a 50 stem blooming plant! Now that I know what it seems to like, I'll post again in 2031!

22976.jpg

Nice! The flowers on this species are so delicate - almost see-through!

Now, all I have to do is grow this single stem blooming plant up into a 50 stem blooming plant! Now that I know what it seems to like, I'll post again in 2031!

Is that what the best CCE had, or is this just a personal goal? 50 stems would be quite a sight! Glad you still have it after 20 years and a freeze.

Is that what the best CCE had, or is this just a personal goal? 50 stems would be quite a sight! Glad you still have it after 20 years and a freeze.
50 stems is a personal goal. This plant was originally a division from a stock plant at Clargreen Gardens, where I worked in the early 90's. They had a 4' Treefern log hung up horizontally with this rubescens clone growing on it. The plant covered the whole log, from end to end and all the way around the log, which had a diameter of about 9 ior 10 inches. There were hundreds and hundreds of growths. Each autumn it would explode into bloom with up to a couple hundred spikes of flowers! It was an awesome sight!

50 stems is a personal goal. This plant was originally a division from a stock plant at Clargreen Gardens, where I worked in the early 90's. They had a 4' Treefern log hung up horizontally with this rubescens clone growing on it. The plant covered the whole log, from end to end and all the way around the log, which had a diameter of about 9 ior 10 inches. There were hundreds and hundreds of growths. Each autumn it would explode into bloom with up to a couple hundred spikes of flowers! It was an awesome sight!

Wow! That would have been quite a sight! It's always great when plants can be grown into healthy specimen plants. How is yours potted right now? Do you have a whole plant pic?

Kevin, I didn't take a whole plant pic. It's not a very big plant and it's mounted on a piece of maple bark. I've had trouble with it on and off over the years.....it'a always been a weak grower for me. Although, clearly, it was a strong grower at Clargreen Gardens; but, it was watered with municipal water instead of R.O. water and it was growing on a gigantic Treefern log. Maybe it got some nutrients from the log, or the crud that was caught in and decomposing in the matrix. In my greenhouse, sometimes it was my care that was lacking and sometimes, the issue was a mystery to me. Now, considering how nicely it's bloomed this year, I suspect it is particularly sensitive to too much K or not enough Calcium. Because of Rick's research, I've made some changes.........and now this plant finally has done a stellar job of blooming for me.

Its very beautiful John! I hope you can achieve the success you desire with this plant as it will be a knockout!

Latest posts

Back