Laelia purpurata var. sanguinea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Laelia purpurata var. sanguinea ‘Hot Nights’ AM/AOS just opened!!
Doesn’t actually look like the named clone but beautiful nonetheless 😍
Flowers are nicely scented.
This species can easily carry 4-5 flowers but I’m happy with 3 as the plant was terribly neglected last year.
Widowsill grown.
Another shot with Morning Glory made with purpurata sanguinea 😁

IMG_0030.jpegIMG_0032.jpeg

hmmm the color under halogen lamp looks alright on my phone but looks terrible on the laptop screen 😅
I will update when I get a decent shot in the natural light over the weekend. Wish me luck!

No good light but here’s a picture in the natural light.
The photo of the awarded clone has dark saturated sepals but this one is nearly white with stripes.
Can sanguinea bloom out like this or did I get the wrong plant??
Also, what’s the difference between this and flamea (if that’s even a variety?)
IMG_0051.jpeg

Great picture to show color distribution.

Sanguinea refers to a dark lavender color from the tipo light lavender. Usually the entire flower including the sepals has this color.

Flamea refers to the petals having dark flarings. The sepals may or may not have the flares.

I reviewed the award picture and compared yours and it looks very similar for form in the sepal/petal conformations. The petal color is similar too. (I attached below the award photo from AOS Orchid Pro program by photographer Helen Michel)

That said, the sepal color may vary culturally (epigenetically determined by external conditions). I have seen different color distribution between bloomings on the same plant from year to year.

Also, if it’s a mericlone, they can slightly differ due to partial genetic shift or mutations. Next bloom might be full sanguinea.

So currently, your flower is a flamea type of the sanguinea color form.

Makes sense?

70C3EDB4-0A4B-485D-9777-73C117969616.jpeg

i really like it now, hopefully it will flower as per SVO
Why? Both are stunning, each in their own way!

If HP7 could get hold of a division of the SVO-plant, though, together they would be an unbeatable power-duo, if in flower at the same time! 😛

Addenda: silly me, thought it was a selfing of the mother plant! 🙄
As it already is a division, maybe the ultimate wet dream would be, if it flowered with two inflorescences at the same time, each holding one of the two flower-'types'.

Last edited:
Why? Both are stunning, each in their own way!

If HP7 could get hold of a division of the SVO-plant, though, together they would be an unbeatable power-duo, if in flower at the same time! 😛

Addenda: silly me, thought it was a selfing of the mother plant! 🙄
As it already is a division, maybe the ultimate wet dream would be, if it flowered with two inflorescences at the same time, each holding one of the two flower-'types'.
and higher flower count!
But let's see if I can successfully cultivate this guy at home to that level first.

Lovely flowers even if there is a difference to the mother plant ...
....As it already is a division, maybe the ultimate wet dream would be, if it flowered with two inflorescences at the same time, each holding one of the two flower-'types'.
Jens, seems youre wishing an jack of all trades device. ;)

Last edited:
Just from experience, saying any purpurata can easily carry 4-5 flowers is perhaps a stretch. Ok flowering is two, good flowering is three, 4-5 flowers is very very good. Take a poll how many people have every flowered a purpurata with more than 3 and you many not even get in the 15/20 percent factor from experienced growers. Sure you will get some, but even those growers will have to admit maybe I did it once or twice, but never consistently unless they are a large nursery with dozens of different clones. I just added all the flowers from the last 13 AOS awards, total was 154 flowers on 45 inflorescences which comes out to 3.5 per infl., and there was an FCC and a CCE in that group of 13. If a purpurata comes in for judging and has 4/5 flowers per infl., then there should be no discussion regarding floriferousness.

Last edited:
Just from experience, saying any purpurata can easily carry 4-5 flowers is perhaps a stretch. Ok flowering is two, good flowering is three, 4-5 flowers is very very good. Take a poll how many people have every flowered a purpurata with more than 3 and you many not even get in the 15/20 percent factor from experienced growers. Sure you will get some, but even those growers will have to admit maybe I did it once or twice, but never consistently unless they are a large nursery with dozens of different clones. I just added all the flowers from the last 13 AOS awards, total was 154 flowers on 45 inflorescences which comes out to 3.5 per infl., and there was an FCC and a CCE in that group of 13. If a purpurata comes in for judging and has 4/5 flowers per infl., then there should be no discussion regarding floriferousness.
Thank you for the information.
That makes me feel even better as this plant was really not taken good care of for a while.
The newer growths matured all too small at barely about half the size of the older ones. So seeing a sheath on one of those smaller growths was a surprise to me. I did not actually expect it to produce anything out of it but suddenly tiny dark shadow appeared in it and started to grow and I could see three little thing inside as they developed along. What an excitement it has been for me!! :)

Latest posts

Back