kolopakingii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
First of my regular kolopakingii, not a line bred clone. This one was an old import from Indonesia in the early 80's. When I stopped growing due to work pressure it was moved to a friend who did his best to look after the core of my original collection (mixed success). First flowering after it has moved back into my care. There are another 3 of the originals in low bud.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Very nice. How big are the leaves. Have you smell it? They say flowers smell like cat pee.

Cat pee is a compliment. They smell horrible. But wow, I'm jealous! Very nice blooming. And more on the way? Not fair man... This is my favorite species. How large is the growth?

I like kolopakingii. Early on when I first started down my slipper journey, this was one of the species I wanted after seeing its photo in one of the slipper books. It's probably best I that I saw a mature sized plant before I ever bought one, since I never have had the room for something that big. I know the size is pretty variable, but darn, I've seen some monsters.

Anway, I love your plant's flowers. The very much look like the one I saw in photos all those years ago that made me fall in love with the species.

I recently saw some var. topperi in bloom. I daringly gave them a whiff, but they were only very faintly scented. It was along the lines of a musty, moldy kind of scent.

Of those of you who've bloomed these, has anyone seen flower counts similar to 'Riopelle' - 9 or more flowers per inflorescence? Seems like most of them have 5-7, and very rarely more...I'm curious to know just how often you find a clone with a great count. In any case a beautiful flower!

I had a topperi bloom with 7 and a true kolo with 8. Both have since bitten the dust. The kolo I can't take credit for, bought it in bud. The topperi actually smelled like a mixture of mold and honey... This is back on the want list. True kolos are hard to come by anymore.

This plant is only just starting to recover. It currently has a leafspan of 90cm, but in its early years was over 1.3m (they all were, and I have no notes as to which original plant was what size) It used to carry 7 flowers (I only kept the 4 plants with high flower counts) No I have not tried to smell the blooms, and will avoid the temptation for as long as possible. I am going to try and restrain myself from collecting the pollen as I don't want to cause the blooms to fade early. I am hoping to post a group photo with its brothers.
Thanks all for the comments

Against my better judgement, I did give it a big sniff. Not an experience I would care to repeat! I don't know what cat pee smells like, but if it smells like this plant, I understand why I don't have any cats. Now I am not so sure I want any kolo's either.:(
So I harvested the pollen, and cut the spike (Just for juvenile revenge, I am sure)

Back