King Charles

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theorchidzone

Reaction score
Beauty and the Beast. Happy early Halloween [joking aside, the second one has potentially tremendous value in breeding]

Outstanding!
The colossal dorsal of number 1 and the ruffled enormous synsepal of no. 2 could lead in a new direction for flower shape. The petals don't play such an important role for roundness as they usually do in complex Paphs' shape.
Great! I'm impressed!
What are your next steps in breeding with these?

Interesting. Do you know if the enormous synpetal on No.2 is stable?
It is possible that it is a developmental abnormality and will disappear on the next flowering,
David

Yes. That is a worry. I am eager to flower it again.
I will also self it to try to stabilize.
Also, I am guessing it is recessive.

Outstanding!
The colossal dorsal of number 1 and the ruffled enormous synsepal of no. 2 could lead in a new direction for flower shape. The petals don't play such an important role for roundness as they usually do in complex Paphs' shape.
Great! I'm impressed!
What are your next steps in breeding with these?

Not sure at the moment. As the double dorsal characteristic is likely recessive. Will self it for sure. Need to see if it is stable also per the other comment.
Will likely cross to some mottled leaf and some complex with the expectation that the trait will take two generations to reappear. If the trait is not stable then we will throw out those crosses.
We have fairrieanum with the double dorsal also, but a KC X fairr cross does not sound like a very good idea.
We also have double dorsal mottled leaf but none at the moment.

The top one is much better for breeding. Don't care for all the 'extra' on the bottom of the bottom one. Very unattractive non-paph look to it. Top one is perfectly round. Can't be beat.

Interesting discussion.
Double dorsal is not my speed either, ..... But I guess there are other considerations at play than fussy hobbyists?

Back