Cattleya Amethystoglossa x Peckaviensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malipoense

Reaction score
Anyone know why there is so much variation between these two cattleyas? They're the exact same cross. To me it seems like the left one is a pure amethystoglossa and is mislabeled, which is a nice surprise. The right has more influence of peckaviensis in it. The one on the left has a very nice sweet fragrance. That aside, both are beautiful blooms😍

Attachments

• 20231112_155949.jpg
    20231112_155949.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231112_155940.jpg
    20231112_155940.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231112_160002.jpg
    20231112_160002.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231112_160022.jpg
    20231112_160022.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Are the plants of roughly the same size? If so, the flower variations are not that surprising.
Yes, they are about the same size. Maybe they are the same, it just has large color and flower form difference. It could be that amethystoglossa just dominated the cross on the left and that's why it looks so like it.

Well look at the parents on both sides. Amethystoglossa can be lighter off white, pale pink, coerulea, dark pink, bigger spots, more spots, less spots, etc.
Then look at the variations within aclandiae. Some are greener, some more bronzier, larger spots, little spots, some have very intense color. The coerulea variety is around too. There are many forms of schilleriana around too, some pinker, some more amethyst, bold lip veination, less lip markings, coerulea too.
Oh those crazy genes !!!! 🤪😛
When you dive into the gene pool some unusual things can happen!!!🤔

I could not agree more.

When I lived in SW Florida, every March I judged at the Englewood Orchid Society Show. There was a grower there who exhibited a couple of amethystoglossa plants every year. Those were incredible plants. I have seen maybe 50 or so amethystoglossas down there. Some were compact, some were slender, some were stout, but those from Englewood were like telephone poles! I mean it, honest to
Goodness telephone poles!
The pseudobulbs were thicker then my thumb. They were in excess of one meter tall, with 3 or 4 larger, longer and broader leaves. The inflorescence was a bit more then an inch wide at the base and carried
In the neighborhood of 20-25 flowers. By the time I saw them for the first time in 2010, they were both awarded previously. One I think was a high AM and the other a low AM.
Imagine their impact on offspring size?
Another thing I have noticed is that with spotted parents, a lot of odd things can result.

Well, I have never looked up as to how tall they grow in nature but Florida can produce some huge plants. At least I don’t remember looking it up. Florida is too warm for me. I left after 9 years. But for that grower, that weather was ideal.
One or both could have been a polyploid. I have no idea.
Some bifoliates like guttata, tigrina, and bicolor can get quite large.

Latest posts

Back