K-Lite Trial

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't thank me alone - I only purchased 10% of the batch, so contributed 10% of that.

But you and John did all the development and "leg work". Thanks!:)

I mixed all 4 pounds at once as recommended and watered with it yesterday. Any conjecture as to how long it might take for the plants "rebalance" at the lower K level?

But you and John did all the development and "leg work". Thanks!:)

I mixed all 4 pounds at once as recommended and watered with it yesterday. Any conjecture as to how long it might take for the plants "rebalance" at the lower K level?

It's not so much a matter of "rebalancing" as "unlocking" plants (or potting mixes) that are saturated with K Ross.

Repotting your most stubborn plants into fresh mix sped things up quite a bit for many of my worst cases. You may have repotted a bunch that you thought had stalled due to "stale or sour" mix and already seen a new burst of growth.

Mounted stuff or plants in inorganic mixes will also not the change pretty quick since they don't have a bunch of K saturated bark (or CHC) surrounding the roots.

I've noticed differences in just a few weeks with the newest leaves or burst of root growth. A few more beat up plants put on a burst of new basal growths after about a month.

It can really depend on the species too. My bulbo cornutum put on a burst of new growths and the first wave all had bunches of little black specks in the leaves. This was actually kind of attractive, so didn't alarm me. The new flecked leaves were also considerably longer and with much better/stiffer substance. For years this plant would produce bulbs and leaves that layed against the side of the mount with the leaves very soft and floppy. The new growth stands out almost perpendicular stiffer and shiny. Also the newer growth since all the black flecked leaves is just solid green with no flecs???

But overall I would expect you to see some differences within a month.

Just ran across this article about potassium uptake in bromeliads - looks interesting and has one or two orchid-related references:
Winkler & Zotz

I have a similar one that was part of my references when I was looking into this phenomena earlier. Could be the same authors since a lot of the lanquage is the same.

I don't think it was a "link-able" paper and is probably sitting on my home computor as a pdf file.

How did I miss this thread before now :confused:

I'll be interested to see how this all plays out. I'm interested in trying this product in the future if you (Ray, or anyone else for that matter) decide to offer this product for sale on a regular basis. :)

Latest posts

Back