K-Lite Trial

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to work out specifics.

Looks like we're about to see a 13-1-1-10Ca-4Mg test product, meaning it should be diluted to 0.028g/gallon per desired ppm N

One pound, therefore, will result in 1.62143 gallons of final solution per ppm N. so, for example:

125 ppm N = 3.5g/gal - 130 gallons of final solution per pound of powder
100 ppm N = 2.8g/gal - 162 gallons
75 ppm N = 2.1g/gal - 216 gallons
50 ppm N = 1.4g/gal - 324 gallons

So, based upon those concentrations and your individual usage rate, estimate how much you'd like from this first bag. I'd like to "share the wealth" with as many as want to be serious about this, and we can always reorder, so please be conservative in your estimate, and reply with the desired amount. If we only get a handful of takers, we might expand it, but if we get 100 takers, we're going to have to refuse some...

My intent will be to package it in 2# screw-top jars, so that will be a minimum order to participate. If you expect to use it all at once, I'll heat-seal it in a plastic bag, instead, allowing me to chop $1.50 (my cost for the jar & lid) off of the price.

We're getting a break on the pricing for this first bag, so it'll be no more expensive than the standard MSU fertilizer, although I won't know the actual pricing until I get the bill.

As I get your responses, I'll post a cumulative list. Rick & I get first "dibs" - it's his "baby", and I'm doing all the work.

1 pound in a sealed bag please

Also thanks Ray for doing all the "ground" work!

i'll try a half-pound, that will leave some for others. you can put it into a plastic bag for me, and i'll just drop it into a zip-lock bag or snap-top yogurt container.

oh, if a pound is the smallest size then i'll do a pound though a smaller bag is fine for me (unless there aren't enough people to use a whole bag then i'll go for the pound)

I would be interested in some probably 2-3lbs and the heat sealed bag would be great

Last edited:
2 pounds, or more (6#) if you have that much available.
I'd like to mix it up all at once in a barrel for the Dosatron
Thanks Ray,
Jim T

US only? Otherwise I would be interested in one pound...
I have no problem with shipping internationally - check usps.com for the shipping cost of a small, flat rate box.

What I'm more interested in is a serious test. Not just a bunch of folks "giving it a shot".

I have no idea of the homogeneity of the product - the Greencare products are usually made with large-scale users in mind - so am wary of half- or one-pound requests. Not to mention you are asking me to do a lot more labor that way.

Eric, I also have no idea what the mass/volume relationship is.

Dot, I posted Bill's complete formula proposal - I think in the original K-Lite thread.

Ray

One to two pounds would keep me busy for a year, but I have a few folks in our Orchid society interested so if we come up short I could probably take 5 lbs and distribute down here.

What is the aprox cost per lb for break even?

I'm presently getting MSU from Roberts, and 5lb goes for $20 from Wayne. I would have no problems with this.

What I'm more interested in is a serious test. Not just a bunch of folks "giving it a shot".

To this end, everyone trying this needs to keep track of things like:
1) frequency of feed rate.
2) what water is used to make it up in (knowledge of the 7 major ions would be ideal).
3) supplemental additives (and frequency of use of these).
4) Type of potting mix.

This fertilizer is really being produced as a complete alternative to the standard MSU Pure Water. But talking to lots of other growers (outside of ST) indicates that very few growers use "pure water" or no other supplements even when using MSU Pure Water fert.

So I wouldn't expect everyone to trial this fert empirically, but it will be a better "ground proofing" if everyone keeps track of some of the more important variables.

Ray

One to two pounds would keep me busy for a year, but I have a few folks in our Orchid society interested so if we come up short I could probably take 5 lbs and distribute down here.

What is the aprox cost per lb for break even?

I'm presently getting MSU from Roberts, and 5lb goes for $20 from Wayne. I would have no problems with this.
I won't know the actual final cost until I see the shipping costs to me, but Bill has given us a break for this trial, so I'm guessing that we're looking at about the $4/lb level - maybe less - in sealed plastic bags. If you want it in a resealable container, then I'll have to go with 2# by default, adding $1.50 per jar & lid.

Just for my information: when you say 10 Ca and 4 Mg is it 10% CaO or 10% Ca and 4% MgO or 4% Mg? Is the nitrogen content 100% nitrate or a little bit ammonium?

I was being conservative with the amount of fertilizer I needed, Trying to let everyone who wanted to join in be apart of this. I take more if needed.

Personally, I think one pound( or year supply) is most one would need to determine if this regimen is worth wild. Yes, it may be more work but on the other hand, the more input the better idea we will get.

I would think homogeneity would be a problem no matter if it 1/2 lbs or 10 lbs if the source(#25 bag) is not homogenized to start.

Should we really use additives in this first trial? I think one could mask potential problems.

How strict should we be on keeping records? Should we issue a spread sheet?

Latest posts

Back