K-Lite Trial Observations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems unlikely to me that 1/2 tsp/gallon would be an issue for any plant. Looking at the mixing chart Greencare provided, that's only about 80 ppm N (which is about where my application level is, with no issues). Have you checked the pH of your solution?

I have... At about 80 PPM N in unbuffered RO water my ph is about 4.45.... I have to add about 15% tap back and my final solution is about 6.2 and 400 TDS.

Keith - are you mixing in bulk for a metering pump, or a small volume at a time? I ask because this isn't the most homogeneous powder known to mankind, and I wonder if you're seeing some "sampling" variation.

I mix 5 lbs in ~15 gallons of RO water, and meter it into the same RO supply, and am getting a pH of 6.0.

Last edited:
I will add that K-Lite has been around 4.4-4.7 pretty consistently for me.

In comparison Peters ver. of MSU @ 80 PPM N would lower my irrigation water down to 4.8-5.0. Also out of a concentrate.

I add about 2 gals. of tap and the PH comes up in the 6.2-6.5 range.

Interesting. I just made up a fresh batch today, and it is 5.9.

Out of curiosity, does your batch have a flaky appearance or not? We have had a total of 3 batches so far. The first and third were granular and "prilly", the mag nitrate in the second was flaky.

My first tankful was from the first batch; this one is a mix of the two, with 60% of it from the first batch.

I"ll make a batch of k-lite tomorrow..... Made a batch of RO + beneficial's today and had a PH of 4.41.

I tested my concentrate PH while I had the pen out and got 1.90. My RO water is about a PH of around 6 most of the time. I'll do my test tomorrow and post them.

I"ll make a batch of k-lite tomorrow..... Made a batch of RO + beneficial's today and had a PH of 4.41.

I tested my concentrate PH while I had the pen out and got 1.90. My RO water is about a PH of around 6 most of the time. I'll do my test tomorrow and post them.

Have you also been calibrating your pH pen? When was the last time you changed buffers?

Calibrated this morning.... Calibration fluids are 6 months old. Buffer? The ph end on the pen?

Calibrated this morning.... Calibration fluids are 6 months old. Buffer? The ph end on the pen?

Buffer = calibration fluids. I take it you calibrate between 4 and 7? Although untouched buffers have a couple years of shelf life, the screw up in fairly short notice once opened and you dip stuff in and out of them. We end up changing ours at least monthly.

So, I made a batch of fertilizer this morning and checked my pH pen in the buffers(didn't calibrate it) checked out @ 7.04 and 4.00. Temp of buffers where 62.3. NO tap added.

Ro water- pH of 6.04 and TDS of 33
Concentrate Stock- pH of 2.04
Final mix @ 1 Tbs per gal.- pH of 5.94 and TDS of 364

So, I think I was checking the pH with my additives added or my pen was out of calibration.... I'll have to wait intel the weekend before I can check with additives. I'll keep you posted.

The original thread was getting so long that I thought I
might try a new thread.

Ray, concerning the leaf tip burn issue, I did some testing
on my solution which is 1/4 tsp. per gallon. I used two different test kits just to cross check my results which are
the following: Ph. 6.8, Alk. 40, hardness 300 ppm. My solution contained .5 or close to nothing of chlorine. The solution coming out of the pots was approximately the same.

Something to consider is the very warm temps. this early
in the season in KY. 82F today and 84F tomorrow...just
too damn warm too early. Advise please on anything you
see amiss.

I really don't think your leaf-tip burn issue is K-Lite related. The pH is great and at 1/4 tsp/gal, you're only loading the solution with 40-45 ppm N.

This is esentially the same feed rate that I am using (with my GH experiencing about the same conditions, since I'm not that far from Abax).

I'm not seeing any leaf tip burn on new growth from any of my orchids. At present I am seeing some old leaf drop in phals as new roots, spikes are coming in. In most cases the old / lower leaves are dying from the leaf tip back to the stem. Is that what you are seeing?

Also what is the hardness of your irrigation water (for between feeding misting and watering)?

Irrigation water is 6.0. No leaf tip burn on new growth at
all...just on old growth and really not much of that. Yeah,
pretty much just dying from the tip back. Sometimes I
panic when changing fertilizers. Glad to know that I'm keeping up with the TNians.

Thank you, Ray. You are a reassuring presence.

Meant to add that my lime, fig and avocado trees in the gh are LOVING the K-Lite!

FWIW, upon starting with the K-Lite, I saw lower leaf loss - L³ - on some ascocendas, but they have all started putting out new roots and more leaves, so what's the worry?

Just a note to let you all know that I'm following this discussion about low potassium feed. Pretty interesting.

I have been using Jack's 16-4-20-CalMag for years at a rate of about 150ppm N. Noted the plants would do well for awhile after repotting and then some would begin to decline after a year...maybe not that long.

After listening to Rick (he's a buddy in our local society) I cut back on the Jack's and used more MgSO4. Then, the only thing my plants have gotten fed since last fall has been Calcium nitrate and Magnesium sulfate. Plants are responding very well. I've also been experimenting with my own 18-3-3-10ca-4mg on a group of plants. Also doing well.

Hardness 300 ppm. Very little change really. Rick, I've done the semi-panic thing every spring for 15 years and the new formula just made my neurosis a mite worse this
year. This abnormally hot weather is killing us in the tree
nursery. Digging trees that have leafed-out is a risky business and I transfer my anxiety to my gh. Silly me!

Aaaahhhh a TN spy in our midst. Hidoo Ed! I'm glad to hear that your plants are recovering well. It sure
would be nice if you'd join our experiment with K-Lite. Your input would be invaluable.

Latest posts

Back