Judging in Germany

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Today we had a judging meeting in Hannover with some very interesting plants. Here some pictures

Really beautiful two big fragrant Paphiopedilum hangianum, They got both silvermedals.

Paphiopedilumhangianum-MoniSMDOG200.jpg

PaphiopedilumhangianumPiusSMDOG2009.jpg

A big Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum var. esquirolei

Paphiopedilumhirsutissimumvaresquir.jpg

A very big and dark coloured Paph. tranlienianum - got also a silvermedal

PaphiopedilumtranlienianumWssenSMDO.jpg

PaphiopedilumtranlienianumWssenS-1.jpg

Paphiopedilum violascens (got a broncemedal)

PaphiopedilumviolascensWssenBMDOG20.jpg

and a Paphiopedilum praestans, which got also a silvermedal

PaphiopedilumpraestansPius-SMDOG200.jpg

An attractive hybrid Paphiopedilum Mabelle - malipoense X bellatulum

PaphiopedilumMabelle-malipoenseXbel.jpg

Here an also beautiful Sophronitis coccinea var. lobbii - got a silvermedal

SophronitiscoccineavarlobbiiSMDOG20.jpg

SophronitiscoccineavarlobbiiSMDO-1.jpg

In the end an interesting Epidendrum. We are seeking the correct name for.
Perhaps somebody knows more about this species.

EpidendrumspecPflanze2009Bewertungb.jpg

EpidendrumspecmitKugelschreiber2009.jpg

EpidendrumspecBlten2009Bewertunga.jpg

EpidendrumspecBlten2009Bewertungb.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

The tranlienianum is spectacular! As for the Epidendrum, I would guess an album E. porpax, but I don't really know if there are any closely related species that would be better matches. I think it is at least related.

Olaf,

Awesome pix! Thanks! The folks at Orchids Limited have a collection of freaky epis. ;) We awarded one of their porpax or similar a couple years back. I recall it having much shorter, stouter pseudobulbs??? Maybe Robert or Jason can put a name on it for you? I don't think this odd group is called epis any more?

-Ernie

thank you very much for those super flowers Olaf!!!! I would have enumerated what John already did :) ! And yes, that epi has quite some similarities with my porpax (flower shape differs somewhat); but, of course your people know porpax, so it is not porpax! Jean

These are really nice flowers!! I especially love the first hangianum, and esquirolei

Thanks Olaf for posting these nice photos - all these Paphs are extraordinary and deserve to be awarded.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Super photos! Thanks for sharing them! That first hangianum and the tranlienianum are really wonderful!

Thanks for the hints about the Epidendrum.
But I think it is not a porpax. The curious point is also that on the top of the growth always four flowers are arranged like a cross.

Best greetings

Olaf

Those are stunning - I love the both hangianum and Sophronitis especially. I've never seen coccinea v. lobbii, but it's become a must have!!!

Dan

Hello Olaf,
Hangianum, photo Nr.1, has at right petal 1 small red marks, nevertheless gets silver medal .
best regards

Dear Hakone,
sometimes itz is not so easy to bring the plants to the judging.
The hangianum was brougt from South-Germany on a trip by a car to Netherlands and then the next day to the judging. So the judgng team decided that a little transport-damage will be accepted.

Best greetings

Olaf

Hello Olaf,

Paphiopedilum violascens and Paph. tranlienianum have atypical marks at right petal, gotten nevertheless Medail

Thanks for sharing Olaf.

That first hangianum looks like a bruiser. Alas, maybe someday we'll be able to enjoy more than just pictures here too.

Very beautiful flowers!!! Interesting!!!! I like the slowy close up to the epidendrum...:D

Latest posts

Back