Its been a while for this one

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10280&highlight=spicerianum

This spicerianum almost crapped out since this old post above.

So even though spicerianum is not a particularly difficult species I was glad to see a flower out of this seedling I produced several years ago. This plant came out of flask in 2005.

About a year ago I got a flask of Slipperkings big dark bucket spicers. In comparison to the "good ol' days" when I was trying to raise the above plant, my new seedlings are growing like weeds with no mortality whatsoever.

About a year ago I got a flask of Slipperkings big dark bucket spicers. In comparison to the "good ol' days" when I was trying to raise the above plant, my new seedlings are growing like weeds with no mortality whatsoever.

SWEET! (PS. Nice recovery too)

Nice save, I love this species and most of it's crosses, you had a whole flask, you sold all of them?

Nice save, I love this species and most of it's crosses, you had a whole flask, you sold all of them?

Probably lost 1/2 and sold 1/4. Of the half dozen I may have saved for myself, I just have 2 left (and all the original parents are gone too).

One of the seedlings I sold I saw a couple years ago as a good size specimen plant with about a 1/2 dozen open blooms! Obviously better growing than what I was doing until a few years ago.:eek:

Great growing...like on second thought! I love that spicer staminode.

Rick, I think K-Lite and Orchiata saved many of us who were stumbling
around trying to find the right combinations of growing conditions.

Nice spicerianum, good solid shape to it. Many are spindly and 'open'.
Nice save!
My impression is that spicerianum is darker growing than most plain green leafed paphs. I now grow mine with my mottle leaves.

Nice save!
My impression is that spicerianum is darker growing than most plain green leafed paphs. I now grow mine with my mottle leaves.

Thanks Gary

Generally my spicerianum are next to the bulk of my barbatas (shady for sure). By the time this one did most of it's rebooting, it was actually hung up fairly open, but in the NW corner of the GH.

The rest are still down on the bench, growing well, but don't look to be imminently blooming.:(

Back