International Slipper Orchid Symposium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this information so feel free to move it if indeed it is in the wrong spot. This morning I just received this from Jamie. I thought that others might like to know.

Hi International Slipper Orchid Symposium Attendees,

After much consternation, we have decided to go ahead with the 10th Symposium at Frank Smith's urging.

It will again be on the first Saturday in November. 11/03/07

The Champagne BBQ would be at Krull-Smith.

Frank is looking for a place to hold the presentations near there.

I will contact the speakers I had lined up or find new ones.

It will be GREAT!

I will not stress out this year!

Thanks a lot!
jamie

PS email me with your thoughts. Volunteers needed for BBQ and donations for the auction are solicited.

PPS
Sorry for taking so long to decide what to do. An explanation: Normally I lead a stressful life. The added stress of last years successful Symposium saw me with left side chest pains Saturday when I was out getting a slide projector. I knew it was just stress, so I did calming exercises. ( I just made that up as I don't know any calming exercises other than eating.) But, Monday brought severe right side pain and it wasn't until I broke out in a rash and googled my symptoms that I realized I had shingles which is a virus attack on the nerves related to mumps and occurs in old people from stress !

Plus in spite of the fantastic auction, we still lost money. So that is the story of why I've dithered so long on the 10th Symposium. Sorry, but plan on coming anyway!

10th Annual International Slipper Orchid Symposium - Nov. 3, 2007

The Holiday Inn at Altamonte Springs is the venue for this event, with a special rate for Symposium attendees. For additional details on the Symposium, registration, lodging, and schedule of events please visit the web page at
http://home.cfl.rr.com/slipperorchids/

Speakers on Saturday, Nov. 3 include:

Fred Clarke:
“Trends in Multifloral Paphiopedilums section Coryopedilum” A review of the influential species, primary and advanced hybrids in this section. This talk is a summary of the current state in multifloral breeding.

Norito Hasegawa:
Paph Species and Their Influence on Modern Hybrids

Dr. Robert Quene:
New Developments in Paph & Phrag Breeding at Orchids Limited

Frank Smith:
A New Standard for Awarding Paphs

Saturday evening after the speakers have finished, there will be a Champagne BBQ and plant auction in the Pavilion at Krull-Smith and then on Sunday there will be an open house at Krull-Smith, where we'll have breakfast and spend some time in the greenhouses looking at paphs.

We're really looking forward to a large turnout and the opportunity for so many paph enthusiasts to get together and share their passion.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fabulous! I am so glad you are going forward!

The New Hampshire Society is trying to figure out how to get the NY society and show people up to our Spring Show in February, since it is the largest in the NE region now, and the timing is right, so this is fitting.

We all need to persevere in the shadow of challenge and this is the sort of thing that is very meaningful right now.

Yep, I will be speaking there. I am pretty excited, and think it will be fun!
Who all is coming? It will be fun to see some of you people, who I just know from this forum.

Robert (and my last name is Quene and not Q'uene)

If any of you cannot make Florida, then head for England to the British Papiopedilum Society meeting,second weekend in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For some of you it will be cheaper AND nearer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND I will be there to greet you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck Frank!! Hope you remember all I taught you!!!!!!??????????????
Paul

If any of you cannot make Florida, then head for England to the British Papiopedilum Society meeting,second weekend in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For some of you it will be cheaper AND nearer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND I will be there to greet you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck Frank!! Hope you remember all I taught you!!!!!!??????????????
Paul

Hello Paul, you old goat!:p I am so glad to hear that you're still kicking and doing well.

We all really miss you in Central Florida and wish you could be here with us for the symposium. It will never be the same without you and Mary, and I truly wish I could make it to England in November, but with the WOC so close I'll have to wait until next year.

Good luck, and my love to you and Mary.

Frank

i might actually go and meet all these people I talk to so much, but have no clue what they look like.

i might actually go and meet all these people I talk to so much, but have no clue what they look like.
Everyone who goes should wear a big "Slippertalk" on their heads. :clap:

It sounds like a great forum! So does Paul's alternative proposal...

Forums!

Yup!
The only way to meet people is to go to these events!
I'm already booked to go to Pretoria in July next year. The Orchid Society of Northern Transvaal run a Symposium every 3 years.
Great place, great people.
South Africa sure is my second home.:drool:
( Just got back from the Cape Society Show)
A world in one country
(and I do'nt need a Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:poke:)
Paul

Symposium

Hi Frank

This is Mrs. British Bulldog responding, to greet you and say that we miss you too! A year has gone by since we left and we are still missing Florida, our friends and the lovely sunshine. It was a real testing time in every way but at least Paul has the consolation of leaving the Paphs in mind-blowing condition and proving his claim that one CAN grow Paphs in Florida. As of course you yourself know!

We hope the Symposium is a real success and wish we could join you. The visa problem does not get any better.

Have a great season. Fond memories and every good wish,

Mary

Latest posts

Back