15th International Slipper Orchid Symposium • November 2, 2013 • Orlando, FL

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh damnit! I've got creeping commitments all of next month. Perhaps
next year. Is the symposium always in Orlando? Always around the same
time? If I have a year, perhaps I can be prepared next year. Can one register and pay the fee on the site or does it require pre-reg. and paid
fee. *moan and groan* Sometimes I hate running a small business. Oh,
I need to ask if cabs are available to and from the airport? I thought SF
would be like NY and one could just hail a cab (or get run over), but not
so. It took me two hours to get from the venue to my hotel...for three
days!!!

Oh damnit! I've got creeping commitments all of next month.

You should probably be seen for that condition. It can last longer than a month if you don't deal with it. I think there are some effective creams and pills.

Perhaps next year. Is the symposium always in Orlando? Always around the same time? If I have a year, perhaps I can be prepared next year. Can one register and pay the fee on the site or does it require pre-reg. and paid fee. *moan and groan* Sometimes I hate running a small business. Oh, I need to ask if cabs are available to and from the airport? I thought SF would be like NY and one could just hail a cab (or get run over), but not so. It took me two hours to get from the venue to my hotel...for three days!!!

The symposium is always the first Saturday in November and unless something drastic happens, will continue to be at the same location.

Our hosting company decided to charge a small fortune for online registration and payment capability this year. I promise it will be in place for next year.

Yes there are cabs, but the distance is great enough that the expense is not painless. Many people are successful at coordinating rides with others who are arriving/departing at about the same time. Usually a short announcement during the meeting will produce several offers to share rides to the airport.

I have been to orchid events all around the country through the years, and this one is by far one of the friendliest, most relaxed orchid events you will find anywhere. No pressure, no pretense, and NO SNOW! (We almost had a hurricane once.) We always try to bring someone from overseas who can offer the group something they just can't find anywhere else. Last year Holger Perner offered legally documented species most of us had never had access to, and this year Mr. Chen will offer some of his incredible Paph and Phal (that's right - many of us are called by the dark side) species and hybrids from Taiwan.

Please plan on next year. You won't be sorry.

I think Scott Ware had a big part in organizing this event, but not sure he took any photos. Ross Hella (paphreek) was also planning to attend......

It wasn't until I got home that I realized I never had time to take my camera out of the bag. Things were crazy (in a GOOD way). Such great talks and beautiful plants.

The Barbecue and Auction at Krull-Smith Pavilion was over the top. I purchased some wonderful plants. This is my favorite part of the whole weekend. Not to mention being able to spend time with so many wonderful folks from around the world. It was the best!

I hope I'll be able to go in the near future. I saw one of the vendors had Paph. hangianum, did anyone get me one by chance?

Well, orchidmaven, what plants did you take home???? The really nosy want to know. I'm going next year even if I have to shut the nursery
down. If congress can do it, so can I!

I missed it this year but that doesn't mean I wasn't in close contact with people that were there. Matter a fact, I even had a few nonpaphs mailed to me, that arrived yesterday. I can only speak from the 5 that I received from Mainshow, but the ones I received were great. Even got a division of one in bud.

I came home with some paphs, since I have extra space in my two suitcases. Most what I bought are phalaenopsis, obviously.
But my interest in paphs are multi flora type. I don't expect to buy a large flowering paph roth or its hybrid, I too had to start with smaller size.
I'm proud of myself for already repotted these paphs couple days ago. These were shipped wrapped in moss. Root system appears to be good. These are Paph Prince Edward of York, and Lady Roth. These are left over from MainShow, so I got a good deal.

a9a5uqyv.jpg

A few brachy type pictured on the right below. Ones on the left are plants I already have. They don't look as good as I would have liked.

y8a8e4ad.jpg

On Sunday we went to Frank's open house. I got couple paph including this sib cross of paph roth 'Atticus' x 'Frank Smith'.

I hope to flower these in couple years, maybe more given my past record.

Symposium was fun. Food is great and good fellowship with orchid friends.

I will post pictures to Frank's greenhouse in a different thread. I took mostly phalaenopsis pictures.
http://www.phalaenopsis.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15589

I see lots of red and yellow flowers and I'd imagine that you were very
happy there. The gigantea are to die for! The foliage looks really good for
such old plants. Might the first photo be a Mr. Lin picture?

Latest posts

Back