I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, as Jim wrote :)!!!!
Hope that the snow will not sabotage the work next week!!!! I am really very curious to see how it is going to look like! That seem to be rather compact panes of glass/Plexi that will be assembled!? Jean

Jean, it's an aluminum and glass structure. The glass will be triple pane every where except the windows that open and the ridge vents, which will be double pane.

We are supposed to have "near blizzard" conditions on Sunday and Monday. When we told this to the guy who is going to assemble the greenhouse that he might want to wait until Tuesday, he said that the weather would not be a problem. He and his crew must be tough hombres!

Last edited:
We are supposed to have "near blizzard" conditions on Sunday and Monday. When we told this to the guy who is going to assemble the greenhouse that he might want to wait until Tuesday, he said that the weather would not be a problem. He and his crew must be tough hombres!

either that, or their crew manager is even tougher! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya gotta work to get paid! Money is a pretty good muse.

On my walk to my previous job in Chicago (after a 20 minute bus ride and a 45 minute train ride), I watched the progress of a row house being built from scratch. A bunch of Scandanavian guys worked all winter and did a hell of a job.

The crew leader is the owner of the business. He's the one who will be here Monday morning. I am impressed.

Ernie, really now, don't you miss this cold and snow? :D

We had frost last week and will be frosty again on Monday am. It's a pain- cover plants, uncover plants, cove plants... The orchids have a nice cozy spot, but the yard plants are cursing us out. The tomatoes finally died back a little, as did the bananas and some of the touchier elephant ears.

After a two-day delay because of the awful weather and even more awful roads, the crew is here and began their work today. They think they'll be done by Sunday. If so, then we start work on the inside on Monday.

G-Cinci-1.jpg

They worked steadily from 8 am to 6:15, stopping only for a short lunch break. They wouldn't even stop to eat a cookie. The first photo was taken about 3:30 pm. The second one was at 5:15 pm, getting dark out. So they set up a stand with lights and continued working until the frame was finished. They said they'll be putting in the glass tomorrow. I am impressed!

G-Cinci-2.jpg

G-Cinci-4-night.jpg

Much progress today -- they've finished the metal framing and have much of the glass on.

Here they are just starting the glass.
G-Cinci-5-glass-2.jpg

They began at the back, then went to the front.
G-Cinci-5-glass-5.jpg

Then the triple panes on the roof, and on to the sides.
G-Cinci-6.jpg

Just a pretty view toward the end of the day.
G-Cinci-7.jpg

Oh, yeah -- they accepted cookies and hot chocolate this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back