Hybrid or specie???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Everyone!

I bought this 3 years ago, finally in bloom. I shared this few days ago, the reason of opening this thread that some expert said that it is a hybrid. I got it as superbiens album. Any opinion?

Many thanks: Istvan

Hybrid is a possible. The dorsal veining isn't sharp enough for me to be the species. From my mind's eye the veining should be a dark rich green and fewer on a contrasting white background. I'd be interested in what others think.

you posted this before. I thought, then, it could be a hybrid but how would you ever know? If you purchased it from a reliable source then you have reason to believe the label is true, perhaps.

you posted this before. I thought, then, it could be a hybrid but how would you ever know? If you purchased it from a reliable source then you have reason to believe the label is true, perhaps.

I got it from a correct vendor so I belive that it is true specie, price was fairly high ( 100 Euros). I saw few pics and plant is really different from superbiens album. But what an earth is this? Tips???

Unfortunately, price doesn't dictate if its a true species or not. I'm with Slipperking. The dorsal is a bit off. Also the leaves looks a bit off to me too. I could be wrong though.

My guess is green maudiae x superbiens album?

I'm sorry but I think this is not the species. IMO the dorsal is too big. Look here, I have a pic of my P. Goultenianum (callosum x curtisii).

2nsm1eb.jpg

Here the same plant together with a P. superbiens.

t8p4xs.jpg

Your Paph may also be P. Emerald (curtisii x Maudiae) or anything along this line.

I should add the staminode of your plant is way off for a superbiens/curtisii. Look at the colored form above.

These 'album' clones are very difficult! There has been a lot of breeding with them and they have been crossed back onto the original species countless times, so we have Goultenianum crossed back onto superbiens and curtisii to further confuse the issue. I am not sure how you would be sure of the album group any longer unless a new batch of wild plants entered cultivation. So unless it is a division of an original clone, or a selfing of that clone with strict provenance, there will always be debate and doubt.g:(

These 'album' clones are very difficult! There has been a lot of breeding with them and they have been crossed back onto the original species countless times, so we have Goultenianum crossed back onto superbiens and curtisii to further confuse the issue. I am not sure how you would be sure of the album group any longer unless a new batch of wild plants entered cultivation. So unless it is a division of an original clone, or a selfing of that clone with strict provenance, there will always be debate and doubt. g:(
Trithor how true, I agree completely to this statement.
As to the photos at the beginning of this thread, I would be sceptical too to be a true species. But who knows?

Back