How old is your Paph charlesworthii?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjkOC

Reaction score
I have read that Paph charlesworthii is rather temperamental, but have also seen specimen plants with multiple growths flowering. This leads me to ask, for those who have a charlesworthii, how long have you had it and what are your culture tips to get it to grand-daddy size?

Wow, that is new to me, I never had particular issues with Charlies except for the odd rot that strikes all paphs. Think I have a good grip on the growing though. Mine were deflasked some 3(?) years ago, bewcomes 4 in the spring and are doing well, flowered 2 times now and so. Never repotted, are in 2.5inch pots, about time to get bigger pots if space and time allows. Btw I have 10-15 regular and a similar number albums (those are slower but grows equally fine):D
Would encourage everyone to try flasks, in my experience its much easier but takes a bit longer; albeit not so much. E.g. my Charlies were deflasked in April 2011, in 2013 I had several flowers and now the plants are mostly clumps of 3-5 leads. Except for the runts of course:D

I had a 10 growth plant at one time. I got as a 1 growth flowering plant.Then spent around 6 or so yrs to get it that big and sold it. It grew right next to my spicerianum without any issues.

Maybe I should muster the courage to try this species again. I had a bad experience with a seedling, when I was just starting to grow Paphs.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Maybe I should muster the courage to try this species again. I had a bad experience with a seedling, when I was just starting to grow Paphs.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
If you've only tried one seedling when you started growing Paphs, then yes, go for another one. I'm on my second plant of 4 species I've already killed my first example of, and this time it has gone much better. I've had them for more than 1½ years now, so fingers crossed that they continue doing well.

I've also gotten Paphs of another two species I killed on my first try. I hope I'll be able to grow these better as well (or at least not kill them this time around).

Latest posts

Back