How long from Pod to bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

I know this is a tricky question, as the right answer depends on so many factors, but does anyone knows on how long it could take in this case (I admit I have no experience at all, with Paph breeding!)

Last summer, my cousin was visiting me, and she decided "to play with my orchids" and pollinated one of my Paph. helenae hybrids (Paph. helenae x barbigerum) with Paph bellatullum pollen.. The pod has grown very very well (I am surprised!), and for some reason I decided to let it grow. Now, I am wondering if it is worth to go through the process of germinating the seeds. Even if I am experienced with in vitro germination, and used to do it in the past with Cattleyas, I cannot do it myself now, as I do not have the conditions at home for it - but I could ask someone I know to do it for me.

so, the question is... with these "parents", what do you think would be a good estimate: 3, 5, 7, or more years to bloom?

not yet registered in RHS, but with the boom of crosses with helenae we have wolrdwide (where legal), I am sure somebody has done it already and is just waiting for it to bloom, in order to register.. ;)

the bellatullum used is not THAT special, I would say just average, but I like a lot the helenae cross used for it :D

So I guess, if you are ok with waiting for as long as it is needed, you should definately do it...:D:D:D

so, the question is... with these "parents", what do you think would be a good estimate: 3, 5, 7, or more years to bloom?
:rolleyes: Are you testing how awake I am this morning or if my glasses are on? Both plants are small in nature, I thought the advantage of working with small, compact, teacup size paphs is how fast they go from flask to blooming. I would think under 3 for sure.

There are so many variables, but 3-5 years would be a good estimate. This type of cross, Wossner Zwerg x bellatulum, would be highly speculative. It is quite possible that no one else has attempted this cross, yet.

I had read somewhere that Paph. helenae grows very quick, and that itgoes very fast from flask to bloom. Same also for Paph. barbigerum, but no clue about Paph. bellatulum... let's see..

This type of cross, Wossner Zwerg x bellatulum, would be highly speculative. It is quite possible that no one else has attempted this cross, yet.

hhmm... I am not very sure, I have seen already a bunch of crosses with Paph. helenae, which I would say, were done only to have a name at RHS :poke::D

anyway, Thanks a lot to all for the feedback ;)

I had read somewhere that Paph. helenae grows very quick, and that itgoes very fast from flask to bloom. Same also for Paph. barbigerum, but no clue about Paph. bellatulum... let's see..

hhmm... I am not very sure, I have seen already a bunch of crosses with Paph. helenae, which I would say, were done only to have a name at RHS :poke::D

anyway, Thanks a lot to all for the feedback ;)

This may be true for straight helenae crosses, but I believe that it is less so for helenae hybrids. To date, OrchidWiz lists only 14 helenae crosses, 10 primary and 4 with hybrids. None of these 14 helenae crosses has been listed as a parent, yet. I'm sure there are many others not yet registered.

Latest posts

Back