How do I enter plants into a show or get them judged?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This site:http://midamericajudgingcenter.org/Calendar.html has a calendar for the Mid-America Judging center and for March 2 it says "Greater Omaha Orchid Society Show, 7:00 A.M.". So does this mean that they will be judging orchids before/at the local show?

For the 2012 Orchid Show info, there is a link to 2012 Show Invite, Exhibit Application, Information & Just the 2012 Show Exhibit Application. If I had a plant or two in bloom that I wanted to enter, how would I go about entering just 1 or 2 plants to get judged? Or do you have to have a whole exibit? I'd be doing it for fun and to get experience, and I could brag about my orchids in the show. :D

Why do you want to get a plant judged? I went to judging a few years ago in San Francisco. It cured me of my love of orchids.

If you really think that you have an unusual or really well bloomed plant defiinitely take it for show ribbon judging but for AOS judging ...:eek: I have only had one plant I thought was worth judging and I got a reality check when I took it in. I have one now that if it blooms in time I may take in and another unusual plant but I definitely wont take them for AOS judging.

This site:http://midamericajudgingcenter.org/Calendar.html has a calendar for the Mid-America Judging center and for March 2 it says "Greater Omaha Orchid Society Show, 7:00 AIf I had a plant or two in bloom that I wanted to enter, how would I go about entering just 1 or 2 plants to get judged? Or do you have to have a whole exibit? I'd be doing it for fun and to get experience, and I could brag about my orchids in the show. :D

I would contact the hosts of the show, and ask if you could drop off a plant or a few to be registered and included in their display. If they say no, then check to see what other public groups may be displaying and ask them. I don't think you have to have a plant in ribbon judging to have it aos judged (though maybe each club's rules are different), but you would still need to contact the show people to find out who you would get the plants to, to have it ribbon judged

I would contact the hosts of the show, and ask if you could drop off a plant or a few to be registered and included in their display. If they say no, then check to see what other public groups may be displaying and ask them. I don't think you have to have a plant in ribbon judging to have it aos judged (though maybe each club's rules are different), but you would still need to contact the show people to find out who you would get the plants to, to have it ribbon judged

I think you are right Charles.

Every society show (including Mid Americas of which my society has hosted twice)that I've been to has a table for un-affiliated plants. But on top of that, the local hosting society (especially since he is aquanted with the Nebraska folks) would probably be just fine about including his plants in the society display. Just give em a call.

When I first started taking plants in for judging I took everything in the greenhouse that was in bloom! (slippers only) I was more then once shooked by what got awarded and what got passed over. I would even take the same plant in year after year if I thought it was award quality and BINGO! they would award it. One other bit of info I need to mention, this group here in Houston rarely ever saw slipper orchids until I showed up. When I got started the paphs were mostly the bulldogs and everyone knew you can grow, let alone, bloom bulldog paphs in hot Texas so people didn't try. ( I didn't know any better:D)

This site:http://midamericajudgingcenter.org/Calendar.html has a calendar for the Mid-America Judging center and for March 2 it says "Greater Omaha Orchid Society Show, 7:00 A.M.". So does this mean that they will be judging orchids before/at the local show?
Greater Omaha is hosting the Mid-America show in conjunction with theirs. Judging takes place before the show opens to the public so plants would need to be there & registered the day/night before.

Hey, did you contact Joe Langton yet? He would have the answers. He is 'the guy'. I would email or call him, and also email or call the Omaha orchid society show chair and ask that person about putting your plants in the club display.

And by contacting Joe, you can find out where his greenhouse is and go shopping. Think Paphs. Lots of Paphs and Phals.

Latest posts

Back