How do I enter plants into a show or get them judged?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
I've been wanting to enter some of my plants into a show or get them judged but I have no idea about the process or what do do to get them ready and I have a little bit of an idea about what makes a good flower. So could someone explain how toget a plant awarded, how to prepare it, ect.?

Thanks

Dont wait for a show, if you check the AOS website and look in the Judging Center area you can find out what the nearest centers are to you and when they meet. You can check AQ+ to see how your flower and plant compares to the AOS standard awards. The AOS level should be higher than the standard show plants entered. If you want to enter plants in a show there is usually a form online available on the Society/show website. you have to fillin the form and possibly an entry fee. Your plant should be in bloom for the show, properly labled and entered into the most appropriate category. It should be clean and no pests present.

Looks like you are a vendor at the Greater Omaha Orchid Society events. Jim Pryzynsky may still be somehow part of that society. He'd be someone to contact about AOS judging however it appears the Greater Omaha society its self might not be an AOS affiliate. The Lincoln society is an affiliate and if they hold a show they'd have AOS judging. Otherwise you'd take any plants you're interested in getting judged to the judging center in... I'll have to look it up...

I'm not a vendor at the show. I'm jus quoting my favorite and only local vendor. I know Jim Pryzynsky is a society member.

I never thought a judging center would be that close!

I'd love to join the orchid society, but I live an hour and fifteen to thirty minutes away. I don't know if I'd be able to make all the meetings and such.

I'm not a vendor at the show. I'm jus quoting my favorite and only local vendor. I know Jim Pryzynsky is a society member.

I never thought a judging center would be that close!

I'd love to join the orchid society, but I live an hour and fifteen to thirty minutes away. I don't know if I'd be able to make all the meetings and such.

Oof, yeah, an hour or so away makes it tough. Well, at least now you know some names and location of the region and who to contact.

I have a sandrianum but I don't know the specific cross or parents because records were lost and got mixed up. Can this be judged or awarded? I'm assuming not...

yes, you will enter is as paph sanderianum, no parents listed, no clonal name listed (it's name written on your tag and an entry form would read 'Paph sanderianum')

you don't have to make lots of meetings to be a member in a society; if you pay your dues, you will receive newsletters and once in a while meet with other members when you are able to go... and also enter a plant for judging when they have a show, if they have judging

I have a Paph. sanderianum that I'd love to get judged when it blooms but the leaves a just a little rough. The tips of 2 leaves on the oldest growth are clipped off and the leaves on both the growths are just a little rough with a few nicks and things. Will the roughed up leaves count against it?

i know this is a radical suggestion, but you could cut off the flower spike and only bring that in to be judged

I know I could do this but the next time it flowers, I'd like to hybridize it with P. Sacagawea's Slippers and/or self pollinate it.

First, definitely go to the Mid-American Judging Center website, get Joe Langton's email address and start a conversation with him. Or even call him, his phone number is on the website too. Joe is an old friend of mine, a good guy and quite knowledgeable in Paphs, Phals and all manner of orchids. Find out where in Omaha area he is. He used to have a part-time retail greenhouse, and he might still be selling orchids at shows and such. He would the the 'second' commercial grower in your area. I have not talked with him recently, but he is definitely a person worth getting to know. He used to have quite a nice collection of Paphs. So definitely get in touch with Joe and Karen.

http://midamericajudgingcenter.org/Judges.html

Second, when showing an orchid for flower quality awards, the flower is the main thing to be considered. The condition of the leaves is not really supposed to figure into the points for flower quality. When your sanderianum is in bloom, the flower will be spectacular enough that the judges won't notice the nicks and dings on the leaves. The couple broken leaves are all older leaves, which is an understandable by product of owning an older plant of a species with brittle leaves. Yes, NYEric is right, when a plant is marginal, almost good enough for an HCC, if the foliage is great, you have a better chance of scoring higher and getting the award, but if the flower is good, the number of points the foliage condition will cost you won't be enough to prevent you from getting an award. IT MIGHT be the difference between an AM or and HCC, but I would be happy with either award. We won't talk about FCC, that is a holy grail that most of us never reach.

@ NYEric and the others, I know how the nicks and dings he is talking about looked, and they are there, and he is right, they don't make a perfect presentation. I have seen many a multifloral species awarded with far worse foliage than what he has. His plant has some damage, but it is not an unusual amount of damage. I am not happy about the broken leaves, but he paid less for the plant because of them. By the time it blooms, he will have another new set of leaves, maybe even two, it will look more than good enough.

When you take the plant out of the house, you need to be aware that the leaves of sanderianum are stiff and brittle. It is amazing how little it takes to crack a leaf. Be careful.

But definitely get a hold of Joe. He's a great guy.

My nearest orchid society is the same distance away, about 1hr 15min. Most local societies only cost about +/- $20 per year, which is negligable considering the vast experience of the growers who regularly attend. I unfortunately don't make many meetings due to work, but the few I do make, I sure get to see some amazing orchids in bloom and talk with some expert growers. So even if you make one meeting it would be worth it. I highly suggest you ask to visit other member's greenhouses. I have seen and learned more by visiting than you could ever read about.

Latest posts

Back