How about an IQ Test?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wogga said:
look closely - you'll see subtle elements of the parents.
Yeah, I think we do see the subtle elements of roth in there, I don't think that's the issue.

I know that hybrids are variable and all, but I'd have to imagine that most PEoYs backcrossed onto sanderianum have much, much longer petals. That second set of genetic recombination could have randomly selected a lot more roth, but I'd imagine the chance of that happening is infinitely small.

Still a mighty fun game, though! Next time I get a hybrid, I'm going to do this.

Jon in SW Ohio said:
Paph. Shin-Yi Prince (PEOY x sanderianum) for comparison:

http://www.parksideorchids.com/images/Paphs/Paph Shin-Yi Prince.JPG

So far from the clones I've seen, this is a pretty uniform hybrid. Staminode, pouch, and dorsal striping especially.

Jon

precisely why i called it a freak.

i make no attempt to indicate that this is a plant indicative of what it should look like. look closely though, as i said - the elements that are bred for - clean spiraling of the petals, as well as length - poorly represented. subtle elements - veining of the slipper, and striation pattern of the dorsal - strongly represented.

Most likely - this is a poor specimen of the desired qualities of this hybrid (thank you for giving me the name for the common hybrid, by the way - i was kicking myself for not being able to find it).

kentuckiense said:
Yeah, I think we do see the subtle elements of roth in there, I don't think that's the issue.

I know that hybrids are variable and all, but I'd have to imagine that most PEoYs backcrossed onto sanderianum have much, much longer petals. That second set of genetic recombination could have randomly selected a lot more roth, but I'd imagine the chance of that happening is infinitely small.

Still a mighty fun game, though! Next time a get a hybrid, I'm going to do this.

As far as i can reason, its congruent to recessive genetics in humans. Very unlikely indeed, but very cool, nonetheless, despite any lack of show winning quality.
And as far as the cause of such a thing happening - Someone's got their poor quality sanderianum that they managed to produce a PEOY with, using a strong quality roth, then backcrossing onto the same plant. I could see such a strange (yet feasible) scenario, producing such a plant that is strong in roth, poor in sand. Thats the most likely possibility i can think of.

Regardless of controversy, I'm glad people enjoyed this one.

Wogga said:
As far as i can reason, its congruent to recessive genetics in humans. Very unlikely indeed, but very cool, nonetheless, despite any lack of show winning quality.

Regardless of controversy, I'm glad people enjoyed this one.
Yeah, not trying to stir up controversy. Definitely fun!

Jon in SW Ohio said:
Definitely very fun!!

What'd we get, like 8 pages in 2 hours?

Jon

YUP!! 8 pages... from 1130-130 (we really are crazy orchid people, arent we? other people are out partying - we're playing orchid games! :D i wouldnt trade it for the world!)

And zach - i didnt mean you. i meant i didnt mean to create controversy with the thread, just thought it would be fun for there to be a big m knight shamyalan-esque twist!

well, great, fine... now i guess I can join in :p

I still think there it's PEOY x phili :poke:

(and I hate having to work on a sunday and miss all the fun)

Damn... why did I go to bed last night?

That's one weird plant...that's all I say.

On the topic of fun posts - this type is excellent - good for getting us thinking, and fun at the same time. I think we should do more of this AND I think keeping the answers/guesses public is more fun than private messaging, and that's my official administrative comment of the day.

Latest posts

Back