Help! Paph. hainanense or Paph. appletonianum var. hainanense or else?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinhpicohp

Reaction score
I would be appreciated to your judgement on what species my paphiopedilum is which bloomed a week before.

I am wondering it is Paph. hainanense or Paph. appletonianum var. hainanense, but not sure

Thank you!

1st day of blooming

Haitao-kim20131_zps0ea228d0.jpg

PhainanesisorPappl2_zps9c8b1129.jpg

After a week of blooming

Haivanvan20133_zps7e0de0cf.jpg

not hainanense; if it were it would have light foliage with dark markings. (Similar to the diff between superbiens and superbiens v. curtsii) I'm not even sure this is either. It could be a hybrid like Phnom penh.

not hainanense; if it were it would have light foliage with dark markings. (Similar to the diff between superbiens and superbiens v. curtsii) I'm not even sure this is either. It could be a hybrid like Phnom penh.

Depending on the source, of course.. the plant looks like it is wild-collected, so more likely to be hainanense rather than Phnom Penh.. whatever it is, very nice wide petals..

Depending on the source, of course.. the plant looks like it is wild-collected, so more likely to be hainanense rather than Phnom Penh.. whatever it is, very nice wide petals..

Yes! It is wild-collected and grown in a natural way.

It looks to me (at least from what I can see) that the lower leaf has a mottling like appletonianum. The newer leaves show that somehow the mottling had become subtle and could be a result of cultural treatment. But even then, like Eric said. The hainanense has a much smaller leaf and it has a foliage reminiscent of a superbiens var. curtisii. Dot has a picture of hainanense and so as Pete if you search in this forum so you could compare the foliage of your plant. This is just my opinion though and by far not an expert so take it with a grain of salt! :)

It looks to me (at least from what I can see) that the lower leaf has a mottling like appletonianum. The newer leaves show that somehow the mottling had become subtle and could be a result of cultural treatment. But even then, like Eric said. The hainanense has a much smaller leaf and it has a foliage reminiscent of a superbiens var. curtisii. Dot has a picture of hainanense and so as Pete if you search in this forum so you could compare the foliage of your plant. This is just my opinion though and by far not an expert so take it with a grain of salt! :)

I have in my collection some appletonianum those leaves motting, petals not like this

I have in my collection some appletonianum those leaves motting, petals not like this

I agree with the petals, It is somehow unique but this might just be a variation between clones or something else. The problem is, figuring out what it is. Personally I think its just variation between clones. But it is nice. Certainly a nice trait for breeding.

If your plant has been collected on the island of Hainan, it is a very nice appletonianum var. hainanense. If it has been collected elsewhere, it is a very nice form of appletonianum (var. appletonianum).

Plants in this group lacking distinct markings on the leaves were at one point called paph wolterianum...

Latest posts

Back