help for coccineum id.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronan

Reaction score
below you will see two pics of plants sold as coccineum. but one is the double in size than the other, and the dark one (the smallest too) looks really unusual.

so maybe someone can explain me the details...

thx

Paphiopedilum%20coccineum%20Nardotto%2011-11-2010.JPG

Paphiopedilum%20coccineum%20LaCoDeOr%2011-11-1010.JPG

The small dark-flowered plant looks like a true coccineum, the kind thedescription was from. The other is probably a vejvarutianum, but it's hard to tell from the pic. Where are you located?

You should self the small dark flower if it's big enough to carry a seedpod. It's fantastic!

those plants look like they are growing on a cliff, no? if so you should just leave them where they are!!!!

those plants look like they are growing on a cliff, no? if so you should just leave them where they are!!!!

lol, they are growing on a wet synthetic wall, inside a house...but thx for advice...
( sounds like an accusation of for collecting orchids, some kind of precognition :p like in minority report...:wink:)
thus, you don't help me...thanks for your intervention.

Dang! that little one is HOT! If it is coccineum, its the darkest I've every seen posted. Is the lighter colored one a large flower? Like bigger then barbigerium? It could be vejvarutianum.

Dear Ronan,
both look like different clones of barbigerum.
The lower dark one is really the darkest which I have ever seen. There were shown some plants from Laos which have a similar colour.

Could you make also pictures from backside, then I can say if it is vejvarutianum.

Best greetings

Olaf

Could you make also pictures from backside, then I can say if it is vejvarutianum.

Olaf, could you please explain, in very simple terms, what on the back of the flower would diagnose a vejvarutianum from other barbigerum types? Thanks!

lol, they are growing on a wet synthetic wall, inside a house...but thx for advice...QUOTE]

WOW! I've been wanting to try such a thing for some time!!! Please start a new thread on your wall! PLEASE!

Dear Ronan,

Where are for the four silks on back side (Photo Nr. 2)

Best greetings

Dear Ernie,
here you can see the typical Paph. vejvarutianum. When you see the bud and later on the ovary with the bract the you can notice that this is similar maculated to Paph. charlesworthii

Paphiopedilumvejvarutianum2009-10a.jpg

Paphiopedilumvejvarutianum2009-10fSeite.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

ok, here are the pics:

this flower is 8-8.5cm tall/wide

PICT0029.JPG

this one only 5.5cm:

PICT0032.JPG

i do some research and it seems that naming Paph is very complicated! Paphiopedilum barbigerum var. coccineum (barbigerum var lockianum) is coccineum and charlesworthii var verjutianum may has nothing to do with coccineum and may be a specie now...
btw i think Olaf is the kind of personne who know it VERY well!

then, this is not my wall. on our french forum, many people like to grow some orchids this way as it's perfect for raising the hygro. same with people who grows frogs in terrarium, they like to add small orchids in the environnement.

here you will find the french men who "start" to contaminate people:

http://www.murvegetalpatrickblanc.com/#/en/home (avaible in english)

and i choose an expl of this kind of wall on our french forum:

http://www.orchidees.fr/forums/index.php?showtopic=53193

there're many way do, but most important, concerning orchids, is to choose the right species as the roots stay wet...

lol the one that looks like a vej is not spotted and the one that looks like a coccineum is!! What a mess taxonomists have made with this variable species...to me it just seems like intergrades of a highly variable species, something in process towards becoming separate species but not there yet. I have so many weird barbigerum-like plants...as do you all. if we lined them all up in a big line they'd just represent an interesting gradation. Any doctoral thesis candidates out there - DNA unravelling of the speciation of barbigerum-like paphs?

Latest posts

Back