Need your help ;(

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlavandula

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I owned few paphios 2-3 years ago, buy I'm struggling with this type of orchid so hard. Maybe you know the problem when you the plant. I cultivated it by a room temperature of 25° Celsius und they get medium light. Some grew in lechuza other one grew in pine bark with pumice. They get tap water.
Hopefully you can help me? What can I do that they are felling better in my care.
They are delenatii, leucochilum and micranthum

Lovely greets Vanessa

Attachments

• 20230920_122852.jpg
    20230920_122852.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230920_122811.jpg
    20230920_122811.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230920_122725.jpg
    20230920_122725.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
First photo looks like sunburn on the leaf. The others look OK to me. Main thing is to understand their native conditions, and come up with something that approximates it in your environment.

You said you're relatively new growing slipper orchids. I just want to make sure that you know that after each growth blooms, that growth will die off but a new growth should appear and grow, mature, bloom then that growth will also die off.
Totally normal

To be honest, the first 2 look a little too dry to me. How often do you water? You may need to increase the frequency.
I do not think that the first one shows sunburn, looks suspiciously like insect damage, perhaps mites.

What is your definition of medium light? It might be a little too much light. These three should not be exposed to direct sunlight. The middle one looks too dry. I repot every single one of my slippers, except the big strap leaved Roths. and such, every year. I have found them to respond very well to new media. They put out new roots that eventually allow them to absorb more moisture.
Your temperature of 25C converts to 78F if my math is correct. My slippers are under lights and grow better with some type of temperature change. For example: they grow at 23-27C roughly during the summer during the day, 18 - 20C at night. Both of these levels are a bit cooler in the winter. Humidity might be too low in your plant area. I try to keep my humidity between 50-75%. Growing them in a dry, low humidity area encourages insects to flourish. The miranthum look fine to me. Maybe more frequent watering might help?
Lastly, do you feed them? How often? With what? I fertilize mine generally twice a moth at half strength.

Latest posts

Back