helenae X Jolly Green Gem

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I've posted this plant in the past
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18369&highlight=jolly+Green
But this time it looks (maybe feels) greener then in past bloomings. Of course its not fully open so maybe it will lighten up a lot more as it matures. If I'm not crazy, this perceived greener color maybe a result of lower K and Higher Ca/Mg

p10607461.jpg

p1060750j.jpg

It does look like helenae.

Is it possible temperature changes also affect the color? (A little cooler now even in Texas?)

It does look like helenae.

Is it possible temperature changes also affect the color? (A little cooler now even in Texas?)

Could very well be Dot. Tonight on my way home ~9 PM I thought I was going to freeze! This is the first time it has gotten to 58*F:eek:
The true is this plant blooms at this time of the year, each time. In addition, the weather here doesn't fluctuate that much. That's why I think it has to be some other variable.

Last edited:
58º? Rick, I'll trade you places. It was 28º here last night. :(

It was 28 here last night too!! Nashville is on the edge of a lot of weather that sweeps down from the north. After the front goes through it will warm up 20 degrees warmer than Michigan. It's supposed to be in the 40's tonight.:wink:

But this time it looks (maybe feels) greener then in past bloomings. Of course its not fully open so maybe it will lighten up a lot more as it matures. If I'm not crazy, this perceived greener color maybe a result of lower K and Higher Ca/Mg

How has the plant growth been Rick?

The color thing Ive been noticing so far has been more a matter of increased contrast. Seems like greener greens, more vivid reds, whiter whites, and darker purples.

The wardii are getting ready to bloom, and those have mixes of green/red/brown. The foliage patterns have become more contrasting since the fert change, so we'll see how the flowers change.

I've notice the same thing with the color contrast. As for the growth, in general I think it has been good. Some plants still seem to linger but I've been busy re-potting to a bit more of an open mix. What I have notice is how dark green the plants are and a number of the multies are "standing up" What I mean by that is the leaves are very "V" shaped not the typical "bowing over" as earlier growing. One would expect very yellowed out plants with "V" growth with all of the tree loss experienced this past summer but that's not the case. Very dark green plants. I took a head count about two weeks ago and I can guess-to-mate 40-50 plants currently in bud or bloom which seems to be normal for this time of the year.

As for the growth, in general I think it has been good. Some plants still seem to linger but I've been busy re-potting to a bit more of an open mix. What I have notice is how dark green the plants are and a number of the multies are "standing up" What I mean by that is the leaves are very "V" shaped not the typical "bowing over" as earlier growing. One would expect very yellowed out plants with "V" growth with all of the tree loss experienced this past summer but that's not the case. Very dark green plants.

I was actually wondering about this plant specifically, but some interesting observations on the others. What I have also been seeing on the "standing up" front, is that leaf "substance" has improved dramatically in my plants. Stiffness and thickness has gone up. I have a Bulbo cornutum that used to lay flat on the mount, and now the bulbs and leaves project almost straight out from the mount.

Any updates on this flower yet??

I was actually wondering about this plant specifically, but some interesting observations on the others. What I have also been seeing on the "standing up" front, is that leaf "substance" has improved dramatically in my plants. Stiffness and thickness has gone up. I have a Bulbo cornutum that used to lay flat on the mount, and now the bulbs and leaves project almost straight out from the mount.

Any updates on this flower yet??

Oh yea, but it's been a little crazy a round here. The seven year old had a birthday party on the 15th and now will have huge party with all of her classmates on Sat. Plus with the time change it's dark by the time I get home with no time to photograph:(

Maybe a little greener. More so in the middle of the dorsal.

Looks like the dorsal sepal is flatter and wider than last year.

Latest posts

Back